Author Topic: Early Colonials  (Read 15560 times)

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
Early Colonials
« on: June 27, 2009, 06:34:42 AM »
Please share your stories,knowledge and expertise you have gained in all the years of collecting regarding Colonials.

Give us reasons why you started collecting and share any tips you may have.

Tell us how you collect Colonials and your theory behind it.
There are so many different ways to collect Colonials it can be quite
scary to a beginner.

Stefanie
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 02:36:14 PM by coinsarefun »

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
Re: Early Colonials
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 10:23:59 AM »

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 10:56:28 AM »
Hey Stef. This isn't a coin but I hope it'll interest you anyway. This is a 6 Shilling note from the COLONY OF PENNSYLVANIA date 1773. This is from my home state, and of personal as well as historic value. As you may know, this was issued two years before war broke out between the colonists and the British, and three years before we declared full independence. I'm pretty sure this is authentic, although it looks rather drab and beaten.

~Daniel

PENNSYLVANIA (COLONIAL) 6 Shilling 1773

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 11:07:02 AM »
Hey Stef. This isn't a coin but I hope it'll interest you anyway. This is a 6 Shilling note from the COLONY OF PENNSYLVANIA date 1773. This is from my home state, and of personal as well as historic value. As you may know, this was issued two years before war broke out between the colonists and the British, and three years before we declared full independence. I'm pretty sure this is authentic, although it looks rather drab and beaten.

~Daniel

That is amazing, I love it. It sure does belong in the Colonial section.

I grew up in Cleveland, Ohio and we had some 60 acres of land in Pa.
I used to love going there, especially around fall for the color :)

It was in south/western Pa.....near Somerset/Donegal.
I went back 2 yrs ago, first time in 29 years.........I had the time of my life remembering my childhood!

Stefanie

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 03:01:59 PM »
That is amazing, I love it. It sure does belong in the Colonial section.

I grew up in Cleveland, Ohio and we had some 60 acres of land in Pa.
I used to love going there, especially around fall for the color :)

It was in south/western Pa.....near Somerset/Donegal.
I went back 2 yrs ago, first time in 29 years.........I had the time of my life remembering my childhood!

Stefanie
[/quote]

I'm glad you like it. Unfortunately this is the only colonial piece I have. They are little too pricey for to make a steady hobby.  But this is a nice keepsake.  I've never been that far west in Pennsylvania. I live around the Philadelphia area in south-eastern Pennsylvania. It's getting developed in some of the areas, but otherwise it's still nice.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 03:04:47 PM by Zantetsuken »

Offline BCNumismatics

• Top Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
Early colonials.
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 10:39:15 PM »

~Daniel

Daniel,
  That is most definitely a nice British Commonwealth numismatic item that you have got there.

Colonial American notes have eluded me so far,as we never see them over here in New Zealand..

1773 was also the year that the very last colonial American coin was struck - the Virginian 1/2 Penny,which also eludes me as well.

Aidan.

Offline Deagle74

• Full Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 08:06:47 AM »
Please share your stories,knowledge and expertise you have gained in all the years of collecting regarding Colonials.

Give us reasons why you started collecting and share any tips you may have.

Tell us how you collect Colonials and your theory behind it.
There are so many different ways to collect Colonials it can be quite
scary to a beginner.

Stefanie

I agree with you Stefanie about "scary part" :). I hardly can say that I started to collect colonials - because this is my first one. Is there Any who don't want to collect colonials? - they are so damn beautiful and full of history. So I answered the why and the scary part. How do I collect them? - if there is a nice piece for affordable price - I guess It's mine already  :D

Rok

« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 01:08:15 PM by Deagle74 »

Offline BCNumismatics

• Top Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
Early Colonial coins.
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 11:41:09 PM »
Rok,
  That's a very interesting coin - a New Jersey 1 Cent.

Between 1776 & 1789,the individual American states were allowed to put out their own coins,as they were effectively independent countries in their own right.

You should join http://www.worldnumismaticphotogallery.net & start uploading photos,such as this coin,on there.

Aidan.

Offline Deagle74

• Full Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 02:32:21 AM »
Thx Aidan!  ;)

Rok

Offline Scottishmoney

• Full Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
    • Scottish Coinage and Beauties on Banknotes
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2010, 03:19:45 PM »
I am on the prowl for a nice Pine Tree Shilling, preferably the larger variety.  I have several Colonial era coins, dating back to the 1722-4 Hibernia and Rosa Americana coins - just don't happen to have many of them imaged though.  I have a new earliest paper money for my Colonial collection on the way though, a 1733 1/- from Maryland.  Will image that because it is going on my site.