Author Topic: Middlesex 1038B Conder Token  (Read 6888 times)

Offline Larry

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
Middlesex 1038B Conder Token
« on: June 19, 2013, 03:36:31 PM »
Am I Not a Man and a Brother • Conder Token

Middlesex 1038b rated Common, but not seldom found in such condition:  Near Gem, perhaps a tad better.

I'm sure most Conder Token collectors have seen this issue before.
I had wanted a nice example for many years, but waited for the right one to come along.
When I finally saw this example, I could not resist.

It's included in the National and Social series, and as such might rightfully be considered a 'medal.'
I consider it both token and medal. I have seen too many examples of this issue which circulated
not to believe in its potential as a 'token.'

I believe it's obvious that the piece was maintained by prudent collectors and dealers.
Thanks to each of them for their part in maintaining such condition.
They were good stewards, including sellers Baldwin and recently G. Groll.

I am looking for more information about this issue, whether engraver, striker, issuer, or both.
If you have additional info, please chime in.

Thanks.

I have collected U.S coins for many years, and then Civil War Tokens, but am now actively building a collection of Conder Tokens,
the coins that made the Industrial Revolution a whopping success. : )

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
Re: Middlesex 1038B Conder Token
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 09:58:22 PM »
Very nice Larry,

This British Abolitionist token was used as a fundraiser and awareness of the cause token. Copper halfpenny token issued by the
Society for Suppression of the Slave Trade. Proceeds from the sale helped the anti-slavery movement in the UK achieve its goals. The
design was first seen in plates done by Wedgewood. Elements of these designs were seen in tokens created in the U.S.A. for the same
purposes. The "I'm I Not a Woman & a Sister" tokens.

Perhaps the most famous social token of the whole period, whose imagery was so powerfully used by William Wilberforce, was this
one, known in many variants and proclaiming the essential injustice of slavery.

Thought provoking and difficult to find Anglo-Irish Political and Social Series (Middlesex) copper Anti-Slavery Conder halfpenny token undated.