Author Topic: 1720 Taler Brunswick-Luneburg Germany  (Read 3169 times)

Offline regandon

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +4/-0
1720 Taler Brunswick-Luneburg Germany
« on: March 03, 2013, 06:49:43 PM »
I have been looking for this Taler for sometime now. It is not an easy Taler to find in high grades, as EF is as high as I have been able to find in the last two years of looking. I know there are higher grades out there, I have not been able to find them. The photos are of the sellers. I will photograph the Taler when it is in my hand, to show better detail of the coin. I did some work on the sellers photo.

The ruler on this coin is Georg Ludwig, who would become King of England as George I
History of the relationship to the British crown
The first Hanoverian King of Great Britain, George I of Great Britain, was the reigning Duke of Brunswick-Lüneburg, and was finally made an official and recognized prince-elector of the Holy Roman Empire in 1708. His possessions were enlarged in 1706 when the hereditary lands of the Calenberg branch of the Dukes of Brunswick-Lüneburg merged with the lands of the Lüneburg-Celle branch to form the state of Hanover. Subsequently, George I was referred to as Elector of Hanover.
In 1700 and 1701, when the English Parliament had addressed the question of an orderly succession, with a particular religious bias toward a Protestant ruler, from the childless ruling Queen Anne (House of Stuart), it passed by the provisions of the Act of Settlement 1701 to Sophia of Hanover, granddaughter of James I. Sophia predeceased Queen Anne by a few weeks, but her son and heir, George I, succeeded as King of Great Britain when Anne, his second cousin, died in August 1714. Great Britain and Hanover remained united in personal union until the accession of Queen Victoria in 1837.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 06:51:30 PM by regandon »

regandon
ANA member #R-3128774

Knights Templer
IN . HOC . SIGNO . VINGS

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
Re: 1720 Taler Brunswick-Luneburg Germany
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 04:51:58 PM »
Very interesting Taler Done.......I like it.
Have you received it yet? From the pic's it appears that you have been
able to get  a nice looking one.

I have been out of town for a week or so visiting my ill mother so you may have
it in hand now.

Offline regandon

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +4/-0
Re: 1720 Taler Brunswick-Luneburg Germany
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 11:54:45 AM »
I just got it today, and it looks much better than the photo.

I hope your mom gets better and she is in my prayers.
regandon
ANA member #R-3128774

Knights Templer
IN . HOC . SIGNO . VINGS