Author Topic: Are prices making a comeback? Perhaps being ambitious?  (Read 6704 times)

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
Are prices making a comeback? Perhaps being ambitious?
« on: March 18, 2013, 09:24:04 PM »
I have been noticing that in the Russion silver and copper market the prices are increasing
And even breaking some earlier price points.

I have been looking for years now for a Russian beard token and just when I think it goes un-noticed
The price breaks another ceiling. Secondly I have a few Novadel's and noticed that the last year or two
the prices pulled back a bit but earlier this year they were at the price level when the economy was great.
Matter of fact the Novadels are coming up in prices.

I'm wondering if anyone has noticed this in any other series?

Offline regandon

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +4/-0
Re: Are prices making a comeback? Perhaps being ambitious?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 10:52:52 PM »
I have talked with some of the biggest collectors in the world, from Poland, Germany, Russia and the US. They all agree on one point. The collectors and investors in China have grown in great numbers, and these collectors and investors are buying up all the high end and mid grade Polish and Russian coins, tokens and other highly collectable items from those two countries. Polish and Russian coins have seen gains that are unheard of within the past three years. Just look at how hard it is to find high end Talers, it is as if the world market has dried up. Talking to one well known dealer, he has stated that his sales have jumped within the last two years, and his top buyers are from China. I am not talking small amounts of money here. The dealer states he has sold to one collector from China  over $300,00o in high end Talers and 17th century gold pieces in just two months times.  I think with the new problems going on within the EU now, who knows what is going to happen to the World Coin market.
regandon
ANA member #R-3128774

Knights Templer
IN . HOC . SIGNO . VINGS

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 11:26:47 PM »
Hmm, extreemly interesting, thanks for the explanation. After reading that I was beginning to wonder
about the future......what is going to happen and you stated the exact sentiment

I think with the new problems going on within the EU now, who knows what is going to happen to the World Coin market.

I wonder what will happen....I'm really concerned. I still have a few more coins I want to add to my collection and I have been putting them off as the prices keep climbing. Climbing faster and larger than any US coin.
I wonder if prices will continue to raise. Also are they going to fall soon?

It makes it very difficult to decide when to take a chance and make that last few purchases :(

Thanks for the information, I'm glad it wasn't me imagining things:)
And that explains why the last few coins that I have been trying for jumped from an average
$3-4k per coin close obove the $7k range.

Offline regandon

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +4/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 06:13:11 PM »
Russia has opened up a Pandoras box within the Greek Banking System as of yesterday. The whole European Union is in a state of unease right now. If the EU starts to go down a path of no return, and falls apart, then you will see the World Coin Market start to go wild. I believe the price in the World Coin Market will drop fast. This is just my opinion. There will be a lot of coin investor's that will hurt like the Hunt Brothers did back in 1980 (big silver investors), if they do not sell off their rare coin holdings fast. I think we will see the Market turn back to a collectors market within 5 to 10yrs. But, we need to see how the EU will end up.
regandon
ANA member #R-3128774

Knights Templer
IN . HOC . SIGNO . VINGS

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 11:25:02 PM »
That's very interesting news. I wonder if The Greeks would even consider Russia?
On the other hand I would not be surprised to see the EU demise either, although I think everyone
would need to fight to keep it......at least for the time being until the world economy starts rebounding.(hopefully)

As a side note I would not complain if in 15-20 years the prices were to climb.....that would be the time I would
consider selling ;)

Offline cladking

• Learning The Ropes
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 09:41:44 AM »
Hmm, extreemly interesting, thanks for the explanation. After reading that I was beginning to wonder
about the future......what is going to happen and you stated the exact sentiment

I think with the new problems going on within the EU now, who knows what is going to happen to the World Coin market.

I wonder what will happen....I'm really concerned. I still have a few more coins I want to add to my collection and I have been putting them off as the prices keep climbing. Climbing faster and larger than any US coin.
I wonder if prices will continue to raise. Also are they going to fall soon?

It makes it very difficult to decide when to take a chance and make that last few purchases :(

Thanks for the information, I'm glad it wasn't me imagining things:)
And that explains why the last few coins that I have been trying for jumped from an average
$3-4k per coin close obove the $7k range.

Very interesting.

Somehow I doubt that the big Polish and Russian investors are snapping up modern C/N circulating coinage and mint sets, though.  Would you dispute this?  I have the impression that most of the older silver and copper coins don't even exist in significant quantity except in lower grades and many of them are in the US. 

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 01:07:02 PM »

Very interesting.

Somehow I doubt that the big Polish and Russian investors are snapping up modern C/N circulating coinage and mint sets, though.  Would you dispute this?  I have the impression that most of the older silver and copper coins don't even exist in significant quantity except in lower grades and many of them are in the US.

I highly doubt they are gobbling up the modern C/N coinage. However I'm not sure who is buying the modern
platinum bullion coins.....maybe 60/40%
Its very true that most of the older silver and copper coins are not available even in lower grades.
I think that's what has been driving up the Novadel prices. They used to be reasonable, well semi reasonable
in prices and now they are becoming very expensive.
One thing I have not figured out is.....who owns them? Here or oversees?

I have been watching more and more Russian coin auctions and there are some very rare coinage
being auctioned off over there and they are not letting the coins out of Russia.

Offline cladking

• Learning The Ropes
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 03:58:54 PM »

Very interesting.

I highly doubt they are gobbling up the modern C/N coinage. However I'm not sure who is buying the modern
platinum bullion coins.....maybe 60/40%
Its very true that most of the older silver and copper coins are not available even in lower grades.
I think that's what has been driving up the Novadel prices. They used to be reasonable, well semi reasonable
in prices and now they are becoming very expensive.
One thing I have not figured out is.....who owns them? Here or oversees?

I have been watching more and more Russian coin auctions and there are some very rare coinage
being auctioned off over there and they are not letting the coins out of Russia.

Thanks for the response. 

I get the impression that there must ba a huge flow of foreign material out of the US since Krause lists coins for a tiny fraction of their true value in many cases.  I never even considered the old Russian coins might be tough in lower grades.  I've had several of them from poundage and the like though usually in atrocious condition and assumed lower grades were available.  My primary interest has long been in the moderns and especially higher denomination Uncs.