Author Topic: 1717 German commemorative  (Read 1472 times)

Offline regandon

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +4/-0
1717 German commemorative
« on: August 23, 2009, 12:55:52 PM »
The coin represented here, commemorates a very turbulent time in European history. It commemorates the Religious Reformation in Europe. Many wars broke out during the reformation period with the most notable war being the Thirty Years War. Martin Luther is the man that started the movement against the Catholic religion, and the power of the Pope. Hundreds of thousands of people died during the wars of the Reformation. Prussia suffered the most. I’ll leave it at this, and let anyone that might be interested, do a little research on the subject. This coin shows how Germany took a piece of history and placed it on a piece of silver for all to hold and wonder how it was during those turbulent years of the Religious Reformation.

regandon
ANA member #R-3128774

Knights Templer
IN . HOC . SIGNO . VINGS

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
Re: 1717 German commemorative
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 02:55:52 PM »
The coin represented here, commemorates a very turbulent time in European history. It commemorates the Religious Reformation in Europe. Many wars broke out during the reformation period with the most notable war being the Thirty Years War. Martin Luther is the man that started the movement against the Catholic religion, and the power of the Pope. Hundreds of thousands of people died during the wars of the Reformation. Prussia suffered the most. I’ll leave it at this, and let anyone that might be interested, do a little research on the subject. This coin shows how Germany took a piece of history and placed it on a piece of silver for all to hold and wonder how it was during those turbulent years of the Religious Reformation.

Love the coin and the history behind it. Both are equally interesting. Thanks for sharing this.

Offline regandon

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +4/-0
Re: 1717 German commemorative
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 04:33:39 PM »
German commemoratives are my favorite to collect. I have been working on a specialized set covering the 16th century to 1918. Been at it for 30yrs, and I know I will never complete it as I only have a little over 1,000 coins in the commemorative set now. If I did not get side tracked and buy other coins I would be near my goal.
regandon
ANA member #R-3128774

Knights Templer
IN . HOC . SIGNO . VINGS