Author Topic: Farthing Merchant Token, 1841/0 Scotland, Lanarkshire, Glasgow  (Read 980 times)

Offline Larry

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
Farthing Merchant Token, 1841/0 Scotland, Lanarkshire, Glasgow
« on: January 04, 2011, 11:02:32 AM »
Here's an 'unofficial farthing' token I purchased in a Dix Noonan Webb desktop auction,
my first experience buying anything through D-N-W.

It's not even a Conder Token, from 1841/0, normally outside my collecting interests.

But I became interested in the design, so bid £25, not expecting to actually win the item.
In addition, I didn't really notice the date and thought I was in a Conder Token group.

But it is interesting and reminds me a bit of our U.S. Civil War Tokens.

£25 was $62.97 including shipping, so better to win a group of coins and save on shipping.
That cost included the buyers premium.

Dr. John Stuart Knox conducted a few medically related  practices and issued tokens for them.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 04:16:57 PM by Larry »

I have collected U.S coins for many years, and then Civil War Tokens, but am now actively building a collection of Conder Tokens,
the coins that made the Industrial Revolution a whopping success. : )

Offline Conderluva

• Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
Re: Farthing Merchant Token, 1841/0 Scotland, Lanarkshire, Glasgow
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 05:26:31 PM »
Neat piece, Larry. 

Would be funny to send a letter addressed to the good doctor at 39 Maxwell.....something about a terrible rash :D  Perhaps he could Rx some panacea.

Offline BCNumismatics

• Top Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
Farthing merchant token, 1841/0 Scotland, Lanarkshire, Glasgow.
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 10:40:51 PM »
Larry,
  That is one very nice coin that you have got there.

There is a catalogue on the 19th. Century Farthing currency tokens,but I am not sure if it has been reprinted at any time in the past 30 years.

I do have a few of the post-1820 1/4d. ones,including 3 from Ireland.

The last currency tokens to be put into circulation in the British Isles was Professor Holloway's 1/2d. & 1d. from London dated 1857 & 1858.Professor Holloway's 1/2d. & 1d. turn up in large numbers in both Australia & New Zealand as well.

A few traders in England & Ireland did have currency tokens in the 1860's,but they were not put into circulation in the British Isles,but exported to Australia,which also had a coin shortage & an extensive currency token series in circulation,as did New Zealand.

Aidan.