Author Topic: I need help on this 9th century coin  (Read 1865 times)

Offline regandon

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +4/-0
I need help on this 9th century coin
« on: August 07, 2009, 11:06:10 AM »
I've had this coin for many years. My great-grand-father gave it to me. It was given to him by his father who was born in England. I've been told it was minted at the time of Cnut in the 9th century. I'm mainly a collector of 16th to 18th century European coins, and I have no knowledge of 9th century coinage.
So, my question is,..is this coin from the 9th century during the time of Cnut. I'm still waiting to hear back from an expert on this time period that I've sent the coin to. But I know there are also very knowledgable people on this forum that may be able to help me out.

regandon
ANA member #R-3128774

Knights Templer
IN . HOC . SIGNO . VINGS

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
Re: I need help on this 9th century coin
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 10:30:22 PM »
I've had this coin for many years. My great-grand-father gave it to me. It was given to him by his father who was born in England. I've been told it was minted at the time of Cnut in the 9th century. I'm mainly a collector of 16th to 18th century European coins, and I have no knowledge of 9th century coinage.
So, my question is,..is this coin from the 9th century during the time of Cnut. I'm still waiting to hear back from an expert on this time period that I've sent the coin to. But I know there are also very knowledgable people on this forum that may be able to help me out.

Sweet looking coin 'jvonhanns'. The legend on the rim does look Cnut's name showing 1-3 o'clock on the obverse side. I'm not an expert on Anglo-Saxon coins either, but I've seen Cnut coins on different websites, and this coin looks alot like the ones listed.  Cnut actually reigned during the 11th century from 1016-1035 AD in England, 1018-1035 AD in Denmark, and 1028-1035 AD in Norway according to what I read on Wikipedia. Except for some slight weakness in the one corner, the strike and detailing is very solid. This could go for quite a bit of money if you were to sell it. I hope this info helps a little. Someone else might be able to help more though. Good luck and thanks for sharing.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 09:40:04 AM by Zantetsuken »

Offline HistoricCoinage

• Learning The Ropes
  • Karma +0/-0
    • Historic Coinage of England - Hammered Coins
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 12:32:05 PM »
This is an example of Cnut of England's Pointed Helmet type. Therefore 11th Century rather than 9th.

This can be dated to 1024-1030. The obverse is of the First Style as a trefoil of pellets replaces the R in the legend so it reads "+CNVT(trefoil)  EXANGL:" Being Cnut King of England, Rex Angl.

The reverse reads "+EDPINEONDEOD" placing this as being minted by Eadwine at the Thetford mint.

Not a bad example! Let me know if you wish to part with it...   ;)

Hope that helps.  :)

Kindest Regards,

Clive.
Please click on the image to see my hammered coins

Offline regandon

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +4/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 03:47:42 PM »
Thank you very much for the help. I've been a collector and a historian for over 30yrs, and I'm still learning to this day. This coin has now gotten me into expanding my time period of collecting. I'm going to start studying up on 11th century Europe, and may go back as far as the 9th century. Again, thank you very much for the help.
regandon
ANA member #R-3128774

Knights Templer
IN . HOC . SIGNO . VINGS