Author Topic: Thoughts about CoinsAreFun having a live coin auction???  (Read 13973 times)

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
Thoughts about CoinsAreFun having a live coin auction???
« on: July 23, 2011, 05:01:46 PM »
I don't know about the rest of you but I am tired of the outrageous fees that Ebay charges.
Their constant changes and restrictions. Now I realize that many a auction site have come and gone but
wondered if it would be worth considering having an auction site here at CoinsAreFun.

Most thought I was a little off my rocker when I open this forum 3 years ago and it seems to be slowly
catching on so maybe its worth some considerations :HMMMMM;

Give me your thoughts ;D

Pro's....con's......I want to hear it all.
Big new changes to this site is coming soon anyways. Nicer format, easier to use and more.
Maybe an auction down the line may be in order?

Stefanie

Offline Rigos_Place

• Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
  • 'DA MAN
    • Collectors Unleashed
Re: Thoughts about CoinsAreFun having a live coin auction???
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 05:32:56 PM »
I would think it would be a great idea. The thing you might have an issue is popularity and so you might want to spread/advertise a little more. A little more time on facebook or other networking sites might be the key. I was thinking that this site might be a good candidate for an auction site (with not so many changes, high fees and or restrictions) and as you mentioned, a little tweaking to the site itself can also be a good idea.

I am working on a new website (no auctions) and thought about the auction thing but it is so big that an auction section would be just too much to handle. I hope and wish that yours, when and if you create it, goes well. If you need some help or anything regarding advice on testing a program you add or so, I am willing to lay a hand out.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 05:37:28 PM by Rigos_Place »

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 05:42:54 PM »
Thanks Rigo!

Its just a thought of mine I have been tossing around in my head.
I know many have tried and failed and when I open this site my intention was NEVER to have auctions, just the bst.

But I am getting so very tired of Ebay and the scam artists that are on it I can scream :D
It will be a long process if I decide to go forward with this idea and would like all the member here to be involved and maybe all of us working together can get something that is enjoyable.

I also appreciate the thought that you re willing to help out :1Applause;

Offline BBN

• Learning The Ropes
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 05:44:56 PM »
I'm with Rigos-Place. It would be a great idea, but will take a lot of advertising and word of mouth. Would hurt to put a link in your sig at CU too. Ebay's exhorbitant fees, combined with them forcing you into taking paypal and then urging free shipping kills any shot at a real profit. Only high volume sales and those doing 30 day BINs stand a chance of making the best money.

Offline RedHerring

• Learning The Ropes
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 06:54:09 PM »
I think an auction section is a great idea.   I used to be a moderator at CCF and they have grown exponentially since their founding (in 2005?).

CCF has auctions set up this way (see bottom of page):  http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/

Best of luck!

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 06:57:23 PM »
I think an auction section is a great idea.   I used to be a moderator at CCF and they have grown exponentially since their founding (in 2005?).

CCF has auctions set up this way (see bottom of page):  http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/

Best of luck!

Hi RedHerring,

When did they start doing auctions?
When you were involved with it how much time did it take up?
How many moderators do they have for the auctions?

So many questions.....I have ;)

Offline Zohar444

• Shooting Taler Set
  • Full Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
    • My Taler Collection
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 07:34:32 PM »
I think it is a great idea assuming you can get the traffic, which is currently low across the forums. I tried listing on the BST here before and did not see much activity for my materials. A broader audience may change this. Good luck!

Offline RedHerring

• Learning The Ropes
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2011, 08:40:07 PM »

Best of luck!

Hi RedHerring,

When did they start doing auctions?
When you were involved with it how much time did it take up?
How many moderators do they have for the auctions?

So many questions.....I have ;)

I think the auctions started last year.  Bobby (the admin) got them running and I imagine he put a lot of time into it.  It seems they (CCF) have some affliation with eBay but I never figured out the connection.  CCF has a ton of eBay links or at least used to have.   :HMMMMM;

I was a moderator there last year and got into with a couple mods about using no fee PayPal for sales and purchases.  Some thought using no fee PayPal was a capital offense and I got upset and quit last spring.   :'(

As a side note:  CCF has done very well catering to the YN crowd and has grown into what appears to be a very profitably venture for the founders.  6 years ago, they likely had no idea how big their site would become (a Top 3 coin forum from what I can tell).    C:-)

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2011, 01:01:12 AM »
I think I may have found an excellent coin auction software.
Things are looking VERY interesting.

I think over the next few month's everyone will be in for some BIG surprises Happy(*)

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2011, 12:26:04 PM »
I think it is a great idea assuming you can get the traffic, which is currently low across the forums. I tried listing on the BST here before and did not see much activity for my materials. A broader audience may change this. Good luck!

Zohar, how are you selling your Talers now?
CU bst?
Ebay?
How successful are you at selling them on the bst at CU?