Author Topic: More Ladies Join the Notaphilic Harem  (Read 13930 times)

Offline Scottishmoney

• Full Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
    • Scottish Coinage and Beauties on Banknotes
More Ladies Join the Notaphilic Harem
« on: February 07, 2010, 08:48:04 PM »

One of the fascinating aspects of Canada's monetary history was that for a long time in the 19th century it's money was a mixture of British, American and Canadian coinages. American coinage circulated in Canada at par with the Canadian dollar, and was an important element in the money of Canada. So much so that as a result of the American Civil War, when in the USA coinage disappeared, similarly it did in Canada also. The USA alleviated the shortage of coinage with the Fractional Currency issues of 1863-1875. In Canada the Dominion did not take steps to address the shortage of coinage until 1870 when this lovely 25 Cent note was printed. Much more so in Canada than in the USA, these notes were popular small change notes and saw long and hard use and would continue to be used until the 1930's when after sixty some years of issuing the denomination it was discontinued. This note was printed by British American Banknote Company in Ottawa.

The small change notes continued into later years with a new design printed by American Banknote Company in Ottawa, this lovely note has a familiar vignette of "Britannia" with her ubiquitous trident.

Banco Internacional de Costa Rica was formed in 1917, and represented a consolidation of four earlier private banks that issued banknotes in Costa Rica. Early on the bank contracted with American Banknote Company to produce a colourul and attractive series of banknotes. This two colones note was first issued beginning in 1918 and this bank continued to issued paper money through 1936 when the note issuing privilege was revoked and transferred to Banco Nacional de Costa Rica. The vignette with the two feminine figures is representing science and industry, and this same vignette was also used on some Canadian and Mexican banknotes during this period. I really enjoy the depiction of the model aircraft - symbolising industry.

Another fascinating feature of the note is the redemption clause on the note, signifying that the note is redeemable in gold coin of the United States of America at a rate of four colones per dollar, or in lettres of credit at their office in New York City.

Here is the larger denomination from this series printed by Bradbury Wilkinson and Sons. This note has the face and reverse underprinted with a lithographic process for the multicoloured imagery. Then the final print was the intaglio printing on the face of the note. This note has a centre vignette representing Christopher Columbus.

Offline BCNumismatics

• Top Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
More ladies join the notaphilic harem.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 08:54:05 PM »
David,
  Those are very nice notes that you have got there.

Did you see the photos of my trading bank notes from Ireland,& the photo of my Canadian chartered bank note from Quebec?

Please let me know what you think.

Aidan.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 08:54:37 PM by BCNumismatics »

Offline Scottishmoney

• Full Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
Re: More Ladies Join the Notaphilic Harem
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 03:20:19 PM »

One of the intriquing and fascinating aspects of paper money in the People's Republic of China is after the communist government secured it's position in all of China in 1949 women began appearing on paper money - perhaps in the interests of equality. On this 1 Yuan note released first in 1960 and used up until 1980 a young lady drives a tractor. A recent issue of the IBNS Journal had a story about the 1 Yuan note with the lady on the tractor, in this case at least, it was based on a photo of her on a tractor. Evidently the lady (Liang Jun) was China's first female tractor driver. She was trained in 1948 at a school sanctioned by the Communist Party and wound up working most of her life with agricultural machinery. She retired in 1990 and is now 80 years old.

This note was issued in 2006, though dated 2005, and is said to commemorate an archeaology conference that was held in Tunis. The subject of the front of the note is Elissa or "Dido", the legendary founder of the Carthaginian Empire in the 9th century BC. She is also a subject of the Aeneid by Virgil. As she is a figure in early written history, accounts of her vary and are mostly conjecture. The depiction of a feminine figure on a banknote from the Arabic world is very uncommon, so this note is unusual, and also a very fascinating tie in with semi mythological figures in history.

Ukraine in the era of 1917-1922 was a confused state that was battled over by Ukrainian, Russian, Polish and German forces. In essence there were really three competing forces at work in Ukraine during that time, the Social Democrats(Directorate), the Hetmanate under Pavlo Skoropadsky, and the Communists. The communists controlled the east of the country and south, and issued notes in ruble denominations. The Hetmanate issued currency in Hryvnia denominations whilst the Directorate of the Social Democrats controlled mostly the western part of the country and issued this currency in Karbovnets denomination. The Hetmanate and the Directorate controlled areas of Ukraine united in early 1919, but still had to oppose Polish, Communists, and White Russian forces. This particular piece of paper money was issued by the State Treasury of the Unified Ukrainian state - so called Ukrainian National Republic in 1918 and saw a short period of usage. This note was printed locally in Kyiv by a Ukrainian printer.

Offline BCNumismatics

• Top Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
More ladies join the notaphilic harem.
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 03:29:00 PM »
David,
  You can see all my banknotes from Ulster,along with my $5 note from Quebec on here; http://www.uscoininfo.com/gallery/ .

Please let me know what you think.

Aidan.

Offline Scottishmoney

• Full Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 08:20:58 AM »

Diego Rivera and Frida Kahlo, so Mexico, and so appropriate for this brand new $500 note issued in September 2010 by Banco de Mexico. Artists, writers, leftist political agitators extraordinaire - and tempestuous lovers whose radical ideas shocked conservative Mexican society in the early 20th century. This note commemorates their lives, and their art, with a self portrait of Frida Kahlo on the reverse of the note with a vignette from another of her works.

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 10:10:02 AM »
Nice :Beatingheart;

Some of these girls would make a great CoinsAreFun token in the design contest
http://www.coinsarefun.com/forum/index.php?topic=644.0

Offline mmarotta

• Full Collector
  • Karma +2/-0
  • "There's a blaze of light in every word..."
    • Necessary Facts
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 02:11:21 PM »
Truly impressive!  Thanks.
All I have to offer is these two from stock certificates, more modern than the Roman types of earlier paper.

The first in the "Semeuse" pose crossing water is from The Canadian Banknote Company on a share certificate of Basic Resource, International, of the Bahamas, circa 1986.

The Space Girl with Cape is an American Banknote Company creation for Watkins-Johnson Company, circa 1970.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 02:17:54 PM by mmarotta »
Mike M.
------------------------------------------------
Michael E. Marotta
ANA                                                      MSNS  
http://necessaryfacts.blogspot.com
---------------------------------------------

Offline mmarotta

• Full Collector
  • Karma +2/-0
    • Necessary Facts
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 02:48:51 PM »
What kinds of problems do you have scanning paper?  This has been discussed before.  Modern scanners -- multifunction printers -- have hardware that detects money and stampstamps your action. 

I have had problems with a Depression Scrip from Detroit.  Just now, scanning stock certificates from Canadian Bank Note, American Bank Note, and Johnson Bank Note, I got split images, pixelation and striations.  None of five images came out as nice as the others.  This is an inconsistent situation, but known.

Any reflections?
Mike M.
Michael E. Marotta

Offline Scottishmoney

• Full Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 03:09:59 PM »
Mike, I have no problems with scanners.  My scanners are old(6-7 years), I have an HP that I use as my primary scanner and a Canon that is held in ready reserve status for when and if the HP gives up the ghost.  I have had to find 64 bit patches for the scanning software, which actually can be a bit of a pain.

So, running old scanners, no embedded anti-currency imaging software.  Only banknotes I have trouble scanning curiously enough are 1930's era Joh Enschede en Zonen printed Netherlands banknotes, which because of the tight geometric patterns with very divergent colours cause moire patterns to form on the images.

Those are amazing vignettes on the stock certificates - it is a shame the stopped portraying lovely women on circulating currency early in the century, and on MPC's by the Series 692 issues.

Offline mmarotta

• Full Collector
  • Karma +2/-0
    • Necessary Facts
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 04:01:08 PM »
Quote from: Scottishmoney
Those are amazing vignettes on the stock certificates - it is a shame the stopped portraying lovely women on circulating currency early in the century, and on MPC's by the Series 692 issues. 

Well, I was trying to scan and upload male images, actually: Mercuries, Vulcans, and the like, and a nice portrait from the NYC of Cornelius Vanderbilt.   Uris Building has three guys on a girder.  Baker Machinery has a roughneck.   Just being fair to all of the readers...
Mike M.
Michael E. Marotta