Author Topic: Web site development  (Read 5252 times)

Offline Joe

• Administrator
  • Learning The Ropes
  • Karma +0/-0
Web site development
« on: September 21, 2010, 07:32:37 PM »
Hi,

My name is Joe and Stefanie has graciously allowed me to post some info on the services I offer for Web site development. I helped her out with coinsarefun.com and a couple of other projects. I don't do this kind of work for a living but I do enjoy it as part time work.

I specialize in setting up web sites using open source software and can set up complete CMS (Content Management Site) sites, Blogs, Forums, Photo Galleries, Support Help Desks, FAQ's, Wiki's etc...

An example of the type of sites would be here at COINSAREFUN and at my personal site B4PRINT.

If you would like any info about my services feel free to contact me at joe at b4print dot com.

Thank you.

Joe

Offline mmarotta

• Full Collector
  • Karma +2/-0
  • "There's a blaze of light in every word..."
    • Necessary Facts
Re: Web site development
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 07:47:41 PM »
Very nice, indeed!  I am the webmaster for the Michigan State Numismatic Society and I have my own site, Washtenaw Justice, but my work is far below your level of achievement. 

We are looking for a message board, but it is as much work as the quarterly magazine (which I edited for two years) or the website (which I have now).  When the Board asks me where I am with this, I will include your name with the alternatives so far.

I am really impressed.   :signcool;

(One thing I do not like about Simple Machines is that it takes two edits to embed a URL link.  The widget for Insert Hyperlink does this Insert Hyperlink.  That only gives you http://insert%20hyperlink/  But other systems bring up an entry box and you put the URL in there and it is underneath the text.  With Simple Machines you have Save the page and Modify to change the code and manually insert the redirect.) Insert Hyperlink now takes you to Coins Are Fun -- look at the lower left of your window above the Start in your Presentation Layer for the redirect..
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 08:04:18 PM by mmarotta »
Mike M.
------------------------------------------------
Michael E. Marotta
ANA                                                      MSNS  
http://necessaryfacts.blogspot.com
---------------------------------------------

Offline Joe

• Administrator
  • Learning The Ropes
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 08:50:02 PM »
Thank you for the kind words. It is much appreciated as well as the future consideration.

As far Simple Machines, if I'm understanding correctly, when you click the "insert Hyperlink" button it just adds the code

Code: [Select]
[url][/url]
to the edit window and you now have to insert the hyperlink by adding the URL and description such as

Code: [Select]
[url=http://www.coinsarefun.com]COINSAREFUN[/url]
There is a WYSIWYG editor that you can use by clicking the button shown in the attached photo. Once you click it and then click the "insert Hyperlink" button you do get the popup where you enter the URL.

Offline Joe

• Administrator
  • Learning The Ropes
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 12:11:08 AM »
mmarotta, your post inspired me to investigate further. It seems it is possible to embed the URL in one try with Simple Machines with the WYSIWYG editor enabled. To enable it click the "Toggle View" button above the post text box. Then type the text you want to use as your description in the post text box. Then select that text with the mouse. Click the "Insert Hyperlink" button and a pop up window should appear where you enter the URL. Then click OK and it should add the hyperlink and use the text you had selected as the description so it shows like this:

COINSAREFUN

Offline mmarotta

• Full Collector
  • Karma +2/-0
  • "There's a blaze of light in every word..."
    • Necessary Facts
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 10:26:57 AM »
mmarotta, your post inspired me to investigate further. ..  click the "Toggle View" button ... 

Checking...  US Mint here ... 

Cha-ching!  Thank you...  just a perfect example of how a user's forum allows customers to support each other without requiring Customer Support technicians as a company resource...
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 10:29:00 AM by mmarotta »
Mike M.
------------------------------------------------
Michael E. Marotta
ANA                                                      MSNS  
http://necessaryfacts.blogspot.com
---------------------------------------------