Author Topic: Success at coin shows?  (Read 5247 times)

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
Success at coin shows?
« on: January 15, 2011, 01:14:45 PM »

Ok, I just returned from our local coin show.  78 tables, the place was packed with customers, and it took a little while to check out all of the tables for world coin material.  I found a grand total of ZERO jetons.  No big surprise there, I guess, as I have yet to find a single one at any of the shows I've attended.  Ok, so I figured I'd check out some English hammered coins - again, a bust.  I think I saw a total of six of these, and they were mostly junk and later dates that I wasn't seeking. 

I guess I just wanted to share my typical show experience, now that I've started to focus my collection.  There are literally thousands of any U.S. coin you could think of (within reason), but only a select few world coins.  It may just be a while until I get the notion to drive 75 miles to a show again.

Does anyone else have trouble finding something of interest at smallish local shows?  I know, I need to hit a big show, but they are few and far away.  Knowing what I collect, would it even be worth my while to drive to a show like FUN, or the Baltimore show?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 01:16:16 PM by FilthyBroke »

please visit my website - http://jetoncollector.com/index.html

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
Re: Success at coin shows?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 06:36:23 AM »
I'm beginning to think that no one scrolls down to read these posts. :( 

Offline walmann

• Full Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 06:46:53 AM »
Have stopped in the local show (less than 25 tables) and did not find anything of interest. The large Central States show was an overload with more coins that I wanted than money in my wallet.

On the other hand one of the dealer's BM shops that  I visit twice a year (its in FL) did bring some cherrypicking finds, just this past week picked up a 08/07 ASE in OGP for $36 and he had a cased proof Britannia with COA in his junk silver bin for $33.
Interested in world coins 1912,1917,1936,1937,1951,1960,1988,2008,2009

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 11:01:50 AM »
There aren't too many big coin shows in my area. However, whatever shows there are, it's hit or miss. Sometimes I walk away with a few pieces, sometimes I walk away with little or  nothing. Thank heavens for online shopping where I found most of my recent pieces. The biggest show in my area is either in New York or Baltimore. Both about 100 miles+ distance. Fuel prices being what they are, I can't afford the trip.

~Daniel

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 12:51:53 PM »
I agree, its a hit and miss situation. I go to the big show here in Long Beach and will find things I like but 3 times what it should cost/
Then I go to a bunch of littles shows and sometimes will find several great coins at an outstanding good price.
Then there are times I go to the small local shows and find nothing, absolutely nothing that interests me.

Like Zantetsuken stated, thank goodness for online shopping, that's where I have found most of my greatest pieces :)

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 01:49:41 PM »
Thanks for the responses.  I agree that without online shopping, it would be extremely harder to collect. I'd have little or no success at all in collecting my areas.  In fact, I'd surely not have the direction that I'm on right now.  Being about 400 miles from either "big" show in the area ( FUN or Baltimore), I guess we take what we can get. 

One year we as Coinsarefun members should get together and plan a trip to the NYINC show or something, maybe meet up and take in the show for once.  That would be cool. :)