Author Topic: Coin Forums, censorship, responsibility and more pondering thoughts  (Read 11186 times)

Offline bear

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
Re: Coin Forums, censorship, responsibility and more pondering thoughts
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 12:34:00 AM »
I have always believed that collecting is a very personal matter. When I explain how

I go about collecting, I always make clear that my way is not the only way, or necessarily

the best way, it is just my way. I never get offended if people disagree with me, because in

honest debate and polite argument often comes light, knowledge and truth. No ones honest

opinion should be held in contempt because each person is important to the health of the Forum

as a whole. There are no foolish questions by newbies, as each generation must ask the same questions

and receive correct answeres if they are to grow as collectors and numismatists. Ego and folks who feel that they

are a legend in their own mind are always with us and do tend to make life difficult for average collectors. Not a day

goes by, where I do not learn something new. If I had all of the answweres to life and collecting I guess I would be rich.

Since I am not rich, I guess I do not have all the answers. People who are reasonable and polite and who defend their

opinions with solid foundations are always too be treated with respect. Often, I find that my opinions on a issue will change

as arguments convince me to grow in understanding and comprehension. It may sound like wishful thinking to approach life that

way but I find that this particular Forum has a live and let live attitude that is most refreshing. There is no piling on by a mob, on some

poor soul who just takes a position different from a militant minority. I have seen many a good new member chased away from Forums

and the hobby, from such vigilante cruelty. We all come to these Forums for a little restful interlude, to relax from the strains and stresses

of our day. We definitely do not need more stress when we really need to relax and not fear reckless hostility.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 11:21:24 PM by bear »

Offline Billy Kingsley

• Full Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
    • My Fotki- almost 90 thousand photos!
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 02:27:43 AM »
Well said, Bear. I feel that a true sign of intelligence is a clear change in thought process, such as you reference on lines 11 & 12 above. Sadly many people on the internet come in with preconcieved notions and will argue them until they are blue in the proverbial face, regardless of how many differing opinions- or even facts- are presented. Unfortunatly I think many people are that was in real life, as well.

They say that people use the internet to act out as they would not do in real life, but I don't really believe that. People who are rude and inconsiderate online are almost 100% likely to be rude and inconsiderate in real life, too. I've even found some people who are great online but jerks in real life. Go figure! I've been on message boards now for over a decade, beginning when I was 15,  and I've seen all kinds of personalities.
Billy Kingsley Member: ANA, SPMC
http://public.fotki.com/ElCaminoBilly/
Collector of all coins, currency, whatever I like!

Offline bear

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2011, 04:43:48 PM »
At my ripe old age of 72, I have decided to throw off the garb of the warrior and ignore all who are ignorant,

course, crude and evil. I will only spend my time, dealing with true collectors who are open minded, polite and

intent on learning and exchanging experiences. That way, I will never have to get angry or excited and can do

what I feel is beneficial to the hobby , its newbies and other like minded folks, of good nature and kind dispositions.

Let the nasty ones stew in their own acidic and corrosive stew.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 04:45:40 PM by bear »

Offline bear

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2011, 07:09:50 PM »
The PCGS Forum appears to be under the control of anal retentive personalities. These are people

that are controlling because intrinsically, they are insecure and need to constantly reaffirm that they

are in fact in control. By creating a cadre of snitches and tattle tales , management seeks to manipulate

the membership and also attempts to limit the Forum from exerting any meaningful force that be viewed as

a challenge. Thus, this requires the gradual elimination of natural senior leadership around who the membership

can rally. It is a shame that such political games are deemed necessary by management because it undercuts the

very basis of the Forum. By allowing these  groups, with mob mentality, to gang up on Forum Members,  gives the

Forum in question, an edge , sharp enough to draw blood. The entire feel of the Forum has changed and it is now much

like trying to walk on eggs without breaking them. The tactic of this small clique, is to  anger the selected target,

causing the individual  ,to do something that will lead to a banning. It is a weapon that has proved very effective

in silencing any potential leadership . Thus the mantra becomes "Fall in line or ship out". If you in any way challenge the

company clique, they immediately report a biased tale to the powers that be, which then uses that report as a basis

to ban the accused. It is a cruel and eventually self defeating process that crushes the human spirit,the creativity and the

honest discussion and debate that are so important a part of civil discourse.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 07:14:16 PM by bear »

Offline rld14

• Learning The Ropes
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2011, 09:24:12 PM »
Bear,

I am sorry to hear of your illness :(  I wish you comfort at this time, and I wish you better health.  I have always enjoyed your threads on the PCGS board, and always felt that your knowledge was a great contribution to the board.

A message board is only as good as its' members, I am a member of a Traditional Hot Rod/Custom board (The HAMB) that gets about as much traffic in an hour as the PCGS board does in a day (topics 2 hours old are at the bottom of page 4) and it takes a lot to get banned from there, especially if you're an established member and it NEVER happens without multiple warnings.  But then again, it's a wildly successful board with incredibly talented members.  What Don is doing is going to hurt the board and, ultimately, hurt PCGS.  And that's a shame.  There's a reason I haven't been on there in a while, I am disgusted with the place.

Anyway, please feel better and if you need anything please let me know.

Bill