Author Topic: How does one know what series of coins will be popular in the future?  (Read 4205 times)

Offline bear

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
We really do not know. Many, many years ago, Lincoln Pennies were the cats meow. Now, other then keys,

major errors or early gem red coins, the penny series is rather quiet. What might be a safe bet is to go with key date

coins from several series in the best grade you can afford. The next possibility is to remember, that for some unknown

reason, collectors seem to gravitate to the larger size coins. Quarters, Halves and dollars. Gold coins are now hot but they

had their own period of slow go. I would say, with the specter of high inflation to come, quality gold coins will hold up quite

well during the rest of the decade. I believe that all quarter, half and dollar series in silver should do quite well also.The important

thing is to collect whatever interests you and gives you pleasure. It is your hobby and you get to decide what you wish to collect.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 06:10:42 PM by bear »

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
I've gone with larger pieces lately simply because my eyes are getting worse. :)

It seems that every series has it's followers, or it's own appeal to some.  There are some coins that I just can't see the appeal of, but then I'd imagine that some don't understand my attraction to jetons, or elongated pennies. 

One of these days the mint will come up with another good idea, like the state quarter series, that will bring in more attention and renewed interest.
please visit my website - http://jetoncollector.com/index.html