Author Topic: Bear's Legacy Collection and the criteria for this collection  (Read 31600 times)

Offline barrytrot

• Learning The Ropes
  • Karma +0/-0
Re: Bear's Legacy Collection and the criteria for this collection
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2011, 02:05:24 PM »
Barrytrot,

So you are saying that one should avoid nice, undergraded coins?

Are you also saying that one should only buy coins that have been approved by others?

Ha ha :)  No what I'm saying is that Bear is right:  Gold grading is often suspect.

Naturally if you are a great grader yourself it is a great time for you to buy!  So if you have that type of talent, as you do, use it, of course.

In either case:  You know and Bear knows and now those reading this thread know:  Gold grading is often suspect.

Offline ryk

• Learning The Ropes
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2011, 06:33:52 PM »
Why is grading gold any more "suspect" than grading anything else? This is the first time I have heard this.

Offline bear

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2011, 06:40:05 PM »
RYK, because the status of gold coins in the same grade as silver type coins appears to be

so much worse. Due to the softness of the gold metal, perhaps some allowance is being made

in the grading. Otherwise, why do you seem to be so argumentative. Every time we attempt to

resolve differences, you come up with a new bone of contention. Let me end it by saying,

please continue to believe and do what ever it is you wish to do. That will leave the rest of us free

to do the same. If you wish to state next that the world is really flat, please feel free to say so. Happy(*)

Other then that, every one have a nice day.

Offline ryk

• Learning The Ropes
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2011, 06:45:58 PM »
Have a good day!  :)

Offline bear

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2011, 01:33:05 AM »
Some big changes coming to the Collection. Some deletions and some big additions.

On balance, I would say that the changes are most beneficial and even striking in their

visual impact. It is not quantity that matters, as much as quality.

Offline acan451

• Full Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
  • Love my Sample Slabs
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2011, 01:37:07 PM »
Hi Bear
Bear I have to honest with you, I will never be able to purchase any of these types of coins.
The deep end is a place I know I will never swim.
But to be given the opportunity to see them, is a thrill for me.
I would like to thank you for the chance to view these glorious coins, and imagine the absolute thrill of holding one in my own hand.
I do write my articles on sample slabs, and I get great satisfaction in that, you made a wonderfull comment on my last article, and it is one I will never forget.
I would like to thank you in public for the great honour, that I felt from your most genuine heart felt comment.
All the Best My Friend
Alan

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2011, 08:09:29 PM »
More coins added

Offline barrytrot

• Learning The Ropes
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2011, 07:37:00 PM »
1958-D  Franklin Half PCGS MS-67 FBL   RICK TOMASKA  R&I COINS(GDC)  $10,200

This coin looks tremendous.  Almost too good, really.  I would want a CAC on something that toned!

I don't see any reason for the inclusion of the new Kennedy or the new Washington Quarter.  They both are so-so in eye appeal and see "odd" when placed with the rest of this collection.

Unless, of course, you are now trying to complete a full type set or something, in which case those are above average examples, but not "special" like the majority of the coins you have in your collection.

Offline Rigos_Place

• Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
  • 'DA MAN
    • Collectors Unleashed
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2011, 07:51:38 PM »
Wow... Did ryk leave the forum? I just found this thread and I must say, I love the coins and knowledge but sometimes, the knowledge others have shouldn't be pushed away. Whether they are right or wrong, collectors in general have their own believe and should be respected, specially if a fellow collector (ryk) is not all that correct. Maybe he should have been approached a little different.

Again, this is only an opinion. Do not take it to heart because I can debate, agree and disagree as much as some of you have on this particular topic. With that said, I truly admire that collection.

Offline bear

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2011, 08:22:55 PM »
If you read the full exchange, there was really no difference of opinion. Collectors with the ability

to pick quality coins consistantly do not need slabs or CAC or anything else to assist them. RYK

is such a qualified collector. We merely said that many if not most collectors do not have that uncanny

ability to sort thru the trash and find the gems. For us, we need and rely on PCGS and CAC to assist us.

There is no disagreement between the parties. Some collectors do not need any help other then their own

outstanding abilities, while others, myself included, need all the help we can get. No one should have left

the Forum, because no one was wrong.

On this Forum, we do not say that one opinion as to coins is right or wrong, each collector is entitled to

their own opinion. While we may differ politely and offer a foundation of reasons why we hold certain

beliefs, no Forum member or guest is subjected to abuse or rudeness. It is much like the continuing

argument of snow white coins vrs toned coins. No reason why one is better then another because it is a

matter of personal taste.

Now on matters of buying gold collector grade coins, that is rather a snake pit for the average collector. We

merely wished to point out the dangers so that collectors would not be harmed thru ignorance of the threat.

Because a handful of collectors are capable of walking thru the minefield of gold coins unscathed, it does not

reduce the value of TPG and CAC for other less qualified Collectors.Thus the warning is appropriate. If one does not

wish to head such warnings, that too is a personal choice..
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 08:34:10 PM by bear »