Author Topic: George Fuld Remembered  (Read 9638 times)

Offline mmarotta

• Full Collector
  • Karma +2/-0
  • "There's a blaze of light in every word..."
    • Necessary Facts
George Fuld Remembered
« on: October 22, 2013, 08:56:55 PM »
Collectors of Civil War Tokens know the two series, Patriotics and Merchants, catalogued by George and Melvin Fuld.  In fact, it was George who corralled his father, Melvin, into the hobby of numismatics. 

George J. Fuld 1932-2013 was laid to rest today, having passed on October 19. 

George graduate from MIT with a BS in chemical engineering in 1953 and he completed a doctorate of science in the same study in 1957.  In the early 1960s, he had a consultancy, and even won a significant contract with Goodyear.  However, mostly, he was a coin dealer and his wife sold stamps.

His range of interests encompassed all of US Numismatics and he published a final article in the Numismatist only last year.  The current 3rd Edition of Civil War Tokens by Q. David Bowers (Whitman, 2014), includes an introductory essay, "Reminiscence" by George Fuld.

Mike M.
------------------------------------------------
Michael E. Marotta
ANA                                                      MSNS  
http://necessaryfacts.blogspot.com
---------------------------------------------

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
Re: George Fuld Remembered
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 10:26:39 PM »
Very sad news indeed and a tremendous loss to the community.
I just perchased the new CWT book and enjoy it very much. A side note........I have owned the
Smokers token pictured on the cover page and inside the book for years and will treasure it forever.

Offline VDB Coins

• Collector
  • Karma +2/-0
    • VDB Coins
Re: George Fuld Remembered
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 09:06:03 AM »
It is sad news but I am glad for his enormous contributions to numismatics. He was a fine, gentle man and passionate about his field, and he will be  remembered, long and fondly, by many in the numismatic community. Not a bad legacy, I'd say ...

Best Regards,  :)

George
Best Regards,

George
www.VDBCoins.com