Author Topic: Condition rarity vs. key dates  (Read 4145 times)

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
Condition rarity vs. key dates
« on: December 10, 2012, 12:14:57 PM »
Which do you collect and why?

I know what my answer is but what is yours? 8)

Offline cpm9ball

• Top Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
Re: Condition rarity vs. key dates
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 07:39:09 PM »
I collect what appeals to me, and the only thing that matters is whether or not I can get it for a fair price.

Best wishes for the holidays, Stef!

Chris
The person who can laugh at himself always laughs last.

Offline cladking

• Learning The Ropes
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 03:44:12 PM »
...One of everything in the best possible condition. 

Sometimes "best possible" is a monetary consideration other times it's mostly just a matter of constantly upgrading.  I like to set aside all sorts of stuff for the future in addition to numerous collections.  Most of what I set aside is very high grade. 

Offline Catbert

• Learning The Ropes
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 06:00:58 PM »
I like to collect U.S. type and attempt to buy eye appealing coins, usually AU and above because the design is more appealing to me in these grades.  I prefer to allocate my very limited funds on more common coins in higher grade so my dollar "goes farther" among several coins.  Additionally, I avoid the whole key date issue by not being a series collector.  Collecting by series would bore me to no end!

Offline VDB Coins

• Collector
  • Karma +2/-0
    • VDB Coins
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 03:02:58 PM »
I have concentrated on Lincolns and Kennedy halves for a long time but about three years ago decided that Canadian coins were really underrated and inexpensive compared to U.S. coins, and I began learning as much as I could about the various series before buying a single coin. As a dealer I have to be always be cost-conscious, but I try to buy coins at the right price that my customers will find eye-appealing. I also have learned a great deal about sovereigns of the British Empire, and believe that some of them are vastly underrated as well, not to mention really fun to learn about and collect. Some of my best coins never appear on my website, at least not until I find a second piece, usually nicer!

« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 03:06:56 PM by VDB Coins »
Best Regards,

George
www.VDBCoins.com