Author Topic: My FUN Show "To Do" List  (Read 3697 times)

Offline cpm9ball

• Top Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
My FUN Show "To Do" List
« on: December 17, 2012, 06:40:21 PM »
I started working on my list for the upcoming FUN Show about two months ago. Although I don't have anything specific in mind to purchase, I do plan to look for some 19th century medals to add to my collection. Here is what my list contains, so far:

1) Submit my USS Enterprise silver and bronze medals to NGC for grading. Since both of them are 63mm, they will have to go into one of the over-sized holders, but I need to make it a point to instruct NGC to mount them horizontally rather than vertically. I also need to instruct them to mount the silver medal "obverse up" and the bronze medal "reverse up" so that I can view both sides at the same time.

2) Submit my Santa Fe silver and bronze medals to NGC for grading. Since these are the same size as the Enterprise medals, the same instructions will apply.

3) Submit my Wyoming 75th Anniversary silver medal to NGC for grading. Even though this medal is only 44mm (1mm smaller than the maximum allowed for a normal holder) it will still have to go into an over-sized holder because it is thicker than most coins. It's only 6mm larger than a Morgan dollar, but it contains 1.8 ozs. of .999 fine silver. Again, I need to give NGC instructions to have the portrait of William F. "Buffalo Bill" Cody facing up. To be honest with you, I'm not really sure which is the obverse and which is the reverse, but I do want Buffalo Bill facing up.

NOTE: The five medals listed above will be submitted with my NGC membership renewal gift cetificate for five free gradings under the Early Bird tier.

4) Submit my 1876 International Exhibition Award Medal to NCS/NGC for conservation and grading. I showed this medal to David Lange of NGC a few years ago, and he thought that it might be in need of conservation, so I will ask David Camire of NCS for his opinion before submitting it to NCS.

5) Submit a 5-coin set of 2005-S Silver Proof State Quarters for grading. Actually, I only need to submit the Kansas SQ because it is a Mint Error (planchet flaw), but there is no point for me to keep a partial set in the OGP. Besides, it's safer transporting and submitting the entire set in the OGP since NGC doesn't charge for their removal. I may as well just submit all of them, get a couple of PF70's and then sell them afterward. It will only cost me $12.50 per coin anyway (plus the added charge for one error coin.)

6) Submit my 2005-S Kansas Silver Proof SQ, NGC PF70UCAM Mint Error for reholder with the newly-listed CPG designation, FS-901. When this was originally submitted, it wasn't in the CPG, so it was classified as an error. Unfortunately, errors are not listed in the Census (for good reason), but CPG varieties are. This means that this coin will become a "Top Pop" in the NGC Census.

7) I will be taking my 1926-S Oregon Trail NGC MS67 to "shop around" in the hope of getting a decent offer for it. I'd like to sell it for $800-850.

8) I'll be taking a zippered portfolio containing three dozen of my Morgans and fourteen silver ANA Convention medals for a little "Show & Tell" at our table at the NGC Luncheon.

9) I'm taking my copy of the Red Book of Morgan Silver Dollars to have Q. David Bowers (Stacks/Bowers Auctions) autograph it for me.

10) My 2001-D Kennedy missing the reverse clad layer will be going along, too. I want to show Charmy, aka the Penny Lady, my favorite "copper" and have Todd, aka Blu62vette, take photos of it because BJ Neff wants to post it on his new error/variety website.

11) And, of course, I will be taking my camera with a fully-charged battery to take photos at the Original Hobo Nickel Society demonstrations as well as getting some photos of a few NGC members whom I've known for eight years online, but have never had the opportunity to meet face-to-face.

Well, this may not seem like a lot, but I will have to cram it all in just one day, including the NGC Luncheon.

Chris

I don't know how that emoticon got in there. I typed "8)" (an eight) but that sucker won't go away. :smiley-confused005:
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 06:42:53 PM by cpm9ball »

The person who can laugh at himself always laughs last.

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
Re: My FUN Show "To Do" List
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 07:37:26 PM »
Wow. Sounds like your going to be busy 8)

Now a few things...... I want to see

6) Submit my 2005-S Kansas Silver Proof SQ, NGC PF70UCAM Mint Error for reholder with the newly-listed CPG designation, FS-901. When this was originally submitted, it wasn't in the CPG, so it was classified as an error. Unfortunately, errors are not listed in the Census (for good reason), but CPG varieties are. This means that this coin will become a "Top Pop" in the NGC Census.

I want to see pics of that one ;D

And now that I know your going I expect to have a show report with pic's.
And say hi to Charrmy for me :)

Offline cpm9ball

• Top Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
Re: My FUN Show "To Do" List
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 07:56:53 PM »
I thought you had seen this one before, but I'll post it just the same.

Actually, I had two of the sets that contained the Bison error, but since I was ordering 2 sets for myself and 2 for a friend, I felt it was only fair to give him one of the errors. There are only about 12 of these known to exist. Apparently, a collector from the southwest (AZ or NM?) had ordered 10 sets, one for himself and the rest to give to relatives as gifts, but no others have ever surfaced.

Regarding the show report, you do realize that I will only be there Saturday. However, I will try to post photos of the Original Hobo Nickel Society demonstrations. I've already discussed it with Ron Landis (hobo carver) and he was real pleased that I would want to take photos to post on various sites.

I will also be sure to say "Hi!" to Charmy for you, and I think I will also ask her if she would mind posting a "Full Report" here for you.

Chris
The person who can laugh at himself always laughs last.