Author Topic: MACO Medals: Did you know that.......  (Read 1953 times)

Offline cpm9ball

• Top Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
MACO Medals: Did you know that.......
« on: February 04, 2013, 09:00:28 AM »
....NGC now grades some of them?

For me, it started about 7-8 years ago. Every year at the NGC Luncheon at the FUN Show, when the Q&A started, I would ask why NGC didn't grade ANA Convention Medals since they were the "Official Grading Service of the ANA". I guess they got tired of me asking (LOL!) because in late 2010, I learned that they would now grade them. So, in 2011 I submitted my 1969-1982 three-medal sets for grading at the FUN Show.

All of the ANA medals were produced by MACO, but until that time, NGC did not accept most MACO medals for grading. Anyway, in 2012 I learned that NGC had expanded the list of MACO-produced medals that they would accept for grading, so at the 2013 FUN Show, I submitted 5 more medals.......a silver and bronze pair of 63mm 1960 USS Enterprise, a silver and bronze pair of 63mm 1960 350th Anniversary of Santa Fe and a silver 44mm 1965 75th Anniversary of Wyoming Statehood.

The Wyoming medal had to go to NCS, first, for some minor conservation, but the grades for the Enterprise and Santa Fe medals have already posted. Note: Because of their size, each of the Enterprise and Santa Fe medals had to be encapsulated in separate over-sized slabs ($25 each).

1960 USS Enterprise silver medal - MS66
1960 USS Enterprise bronze medal - MS67
1960 Santa Fe silver medal - MS67
1960 Santa Fe bronze medal - MS67

It should be noted that if any of you happen to have some MACO medals you would like to submit for grading, I would advise you to check with NGC beforehand since they do not grade all of them.

I don't have photos of the bronze medals........it's a long story.

Chris

The person who can laugh at himself always laughs last.