Author Topic: While researching my 1926-D Lincoln Cent I found........  (Read 1797 times)

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
While researching my 1926-D Lincoln Cent I found........
« on: April 19, 2013, 01:54:46 AM »
I submitted this 1926-D Lincoln cent as it is my parents birth year coin.
It did not grade PCGS stated environmental damage. I will see if they can conserve it,

But I ran across this very cool image  and caption showing the line of people waiting to get their first
Lincoln cent.

While This Coin Was Minted...

The Lincoln Cent was released to the public on August 2, 1909. The above photo shows a large crowd in line
outside a US Treasury building in New York City, waiting to receive the first examples of the new coin. This was
a scene replicated in many locations throughout the nation. The Lincoln Cent was the first regularly circulating
U.S. coin to feature the image of a real person. Up to that point in time, the only "person" depicted was various
allegorical representations of Lady Liberty.

Image courtesy of Library of Congress.

Offline jpcienkus

• Learning The Ropes
  • Karma +0/-0
Re: While researching my 1926-D Lincoln Cent I found........
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 07:45:20 AM »
Cool picture.  I can see the interest in getting a coin with the image of one of our greatest Presidents on it.  Now that all of our circulating coinage has Presidential portraits, I'd like to see us revert to more artistic designs like they had back in the day.

Can you imagine living in 1921.  The coinage would have been: Morgan and Peace Dollars, Walking Liberty Halves, Standing Liberty quarters, Mercury Dimes, Buffalo Nickels and the Lincoln Wheatie.  You would not only be carrying coins, but art.

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
Re: While researching my 1926-D Lincoln Cent I found........
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 08:32:24 AM »

Can you imagine living in 1921.  The coinage would have been: Morgan and Peace Dollars, Walking Liberty Halves, Standing Liberty quarters, Mercury Dimes, Buffalo Nickels and the Lincoln Wheatie.  You would not only be carrying coins, but art.

I agree it would have been very neat!!!
I also agree its time to revert back.