Author Topic: Modern toned Proofs  (Read 3428 times)

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
Modern toned Proofs
« on: July 23, 2009, 10:07:54 PM »
Still in the Cello. Colors are pretty nice.
I'm diggin it ;D

Offline walmann

• Full Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
Re: Modern toned Proofs
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 10:55:29 AM »
That 64 Lincoln's toning gives a very striking cinematic effect to the coin.
Almost a purposeful photographic application.
Like it.
Interested in world coins 1912,1917,1936,1937,1951,1960,1988,2008,2009

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 03:04:18 PM »
I guess I have to send them in to be graded inside the cello's
so it doesn't get body bagged for AT ;D

Offline walmann

• Full Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 03:11:53 PM »
Don't consider the Mint cello as a "logical" reason for not getting these coins returned in a genuine holder. Read the latest thread on this over at the PCGS boards. Submitter of coins in original mint cello got returned in genuine holder, was outraged, called and resubmitted and was still considered AT, despite the cello being solid , no holes or any type.

Guess PCGS feels at the moment proof and mint set coins can be doctored while in the orginal holders and if it looks questionable it gets a genuine.

Offline walmann

• Full Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 03:16:55 PM »
Here is a copy of the post from the Forum:
" Friday July 24, 2009 2:24 AM   (NEW!) 

<< Unless you're checking nearly ALL of the submissions over a significant chunk of time, it could all just be coincidence. >>

It is no coincidence. Recently there has been an outrageous number of original, problem free coins being bagged or put in genuine holders for no apparent reasons. In my last submission I had a 1963 sealed proof set that had a beautifully toned Franklin half in it. There were no holes in the cello and it had not been tampered with. The Franklin came back as "improperly cleaned". After speaking with the person who graded it, I was told to send it back in for another look. Then it came back as AT. Sure, it is temporarily more profitable to bag a bunch of coins and get get paid again when they are sent back in, but it has gotten to the point to where I'm scared to send in anything because I only collect toned coins and I don't want to waste $100-$200 to get everything put in a bag or genuine holder when I am 100% certain they are original. I've got a whole lot of coins that I would like to get certified, but there's no way I'm going to deal with the frustration of the current grading trends. In that aspect, it is not at all profitable to bag so many coins that should not be.

I keep seeing people say it s because of CAC, but I don't understand how CAC would make a bit of difference. The TPG's claim to be the experts, so I would think that what the slab says when they grade it would be considered the final word. The TPG's don't make any money or benefit in any way from CAC putting a sticker on their slab. I don't know exactly what is going on, but it s obvious that a large percentage of collectors are getting fed up and would like to get some answers. I'm done sending coins in until something changes.

This post is under the thread titled: As I Randomly Brouse Through the Recent PCGS 'Shared Orders' Submission Pages....

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 08:34:06 PM »
Here is a copy of the post from the Forum:
" Friday July 24, 2009 2:24 AM   (NEW!) 

<< Unless you're checking nearly ALL of the submissions over a significant chunk of time, it could all just be coincidence. >>

It is no coincidence. Recently there has been an outrageous number of original, problem free coins being bagged or put in genuine holders for no apparent reasons. In my last submission I had a 1963 sealed proof set that had a beautifully toned Franklin half in it. There were no holes in the cello and it had not been tampered with. The Franklin came back as "improperly cleaned". After speaking with the person who graded it, I was told to send it back in for another look. Then it came back as AT. Sure, it is temporarily more profitable to bag a bunch of coins and get get paid again when they are sent back in, but it has gotten to the point to where I'm scared to send in anything because I only collect toned coins and I don't want to waste $100-$200 to get everything put in a bag or genuine holder when I am 100% certain they are original. I've got a whole lot of coins that I would like to get certified, but there's no way I'm going to deal with the frustration of the current grading trends. In that aspect, it is not at all profitable to bag so many coins that should not be.

I keep seeing people say it s because of CAC, but I don't understand how CAC would make a bit of difference. The TPG's claim to be the experts, so I would think that what the slab says when they grade it would be considered the final word. The TPG's don't make any money or benefit in any way from CAC putting a sticker on their slab. I don't know exactly what is going on, but it s obvious that a large percentage of collectors are getting fed up and would like to get some answers. I'm done sending coins in until something changes.

This post is under the thread titled: As I Randomly Brouse Through the Recent PCGS 'Shared Orders' Submission Pages....

Wow, I must have missed that thread. I thinks its getting out of control
disenchanting and  disappointing regarding AT coins.  :(

Offline walmann

• Full Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 09:30:19 PM »
It seems to be somewhat of an overreaction. The TPGs may not ease up until they perceive the frenzy for toned coins has reached a high water mark and subsided.

Offline justhavinfun

• Learning The Ropes
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 09:34:20 PM »
You may be right.

Offline Rigos_Place

• Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
  • 'DA MAN
    • Collectors Unleashed
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 10:58:47 AM »
This is why, I completely stopped sending toned coins in. I have gotten more NT bagged and sent an AT and guess what happened? I can't even trust PCGS in particular anymore.