Author Topic: The Capped Bust Half Dollar 1807-1839  (Read 18486 times)

Offline JRocco

• Full Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
Re: The Capped Bust Half Dollar 1807-1839
« Reply #70 on: January 21, 2012, 11:11:10 AM »
Here is an 1824 O-111
This variety utilizes Obverse 10 and Reverse J
Quick PUPS on this marriage include large stars with sharp points close to the milling on the obverse, a large centering dot on the neck with a circle around it as well as the base of the 8 in the date is higher than the neighboring 1 and 2. The reverse shows lettering also close to the milling as well as line 2 of stripe 3 and line 3 of stripe 6 penetrating to the third crossbar on the shield and a die line that extends down and to the left from the last lower feather on the upper arrow.
One thing that makes this variety interesting is that it is commonly found with doubled or even tripled profiles.
Doubled profiles are are most commonly seen on the years 1823, 1824 and 1825. It was originally thought that the effect was from the hubbing process regarding the hubbing of the WD, but there are some varieties like this 1824 O-111 that do show doubling and some that do not, so it is not a hubbing issue.
These are the result of mechanical error or as is a more common phrase, machine doubling. It is thought that the screwpresses were old and the parts were worn and the parts showed some movement...a sideways slip either during or just after the striking of the coin. Now why is this seen on some parts of the coin and not others? Well heck if I know  ;)
Something happens at that moment of impact that we may never fully understand.
Take a look at this 1957D Lincoln as a great example. Look at this really strong machine doubling seen on the date and mint mark.

Now take a look at the entire obverse.

How the heck could the date and MM show such extreme machine doubling and not the entire obverse? Maybe someone can offer a hypothesis?
Here is the 1824 O-111 with commonly seen profile doubling.

Some coins are just plain "interesting"

Offline JRocco

• Full Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2012, 06:53:35 PM »
Here is an 1813 O-108 R3
This obverse was used twice, the O-108 and O-109. I think I posted an 1813 O-109a earlier in the thread. That is the 1813 single leaf variety.
The O-108 was struck before the O-109 and is characterized by partly to fully flat stars with narrow milling that is often incomplete. A large amount of the O-108's and O-109's show rim damage that occurred during the minting process, especially on the reverse adjacent to AMERICA.
The date on this die displays a broad 8 and the second 1 is lower than the other digits.
On the reverse, the AM are separated at the bases and level and there is a very large centering dot between crossbars 4 and 5.
Even with these old pics you can clearly see this die has a very strong clash, I wonder how these dies held up sometimes. This die went on to produce the O-108a die state then the O-109 followed by the O-109a single leaf variety - single leaf because of severe die lapping to remove some of the clash marks incurred during the life of the die.

Some coins are just plain "interesting"

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #72 on: December 11, 2012, 11:00:15 PM »
Great thread......you need to keep it going!

Offline steelheadwill

• Learning The Ropes
  • Karma +0/-0
    • PINEREESHILLINGS
« Reply #73 on: February 08, 2013, 11:15:49 AM »
 Just wanted to tell everyone how I much enjoyed reading about and viewing the CBHs in this thread.  ;D
 Thanks to all for your insights and photographs, they provided much inspiration to me as an aspiring collector.
 My favorite silvers display the steelgray, almost purple toning, my favorite saltwater coins are recovered with this.
 I've acquired most of my collection thru site research and the use of metal detectors.
One of the coins that I have purchased is this 1834 large letter large date,
I was told this was the last year of issue with edge lettering, I do not know more about it than that.
Mr. Rocco, I liked your quote "Cool stuff for sure. In fact it is fun being a variety nerd."
  I'm looking forward to learning more about the history of the US Mints coin production procedures in its earlier years, I had no idea that so much handwork was used prior to 1836.
    Again, thanks to everyone who shared their knowledge and photos.
                                          best wishes!     Herbie.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 11:20:18 AM by steelheadwill »
See more finds at www.pinetreeshillings.com

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #74 on: March 14, 2013, 11:12:43 PM »
Okay Rocco........when are you going to post some more? [url=http://www.freesmileys.or