Author Topic: Jefferson Nickel's 1938 to current  (Read 1040 times)

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
Jefferson Nickel's 1938 to current
« on: February 25, 2011, 11:12:04 PM »
War Nickels (35%silver)

World War II prompted the rationing of many commodities. Nickel was highly valued for use in armor plating, and Congress ordered the removal of this metal from the five-cent piece, effective October 8, 1942. From that date, and lasting through the end of 1945, five-cent pieces bore the regular design but were minted from an alloy of copper, silver and manganese. It was anticipated that these emergency coins would be withdrawn from circulation after the war, so a prominent distinguishing feature was added. Coins from all three mints bore very large mintmarks above the dome of Monticello, and the letter 'P' was used as a mintmark for the first time on a U. S. coin.

Offline cpm9ball

• Top Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
Re: Jefferson Nickel's 1938 to current
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 04:19:38 AM »
That's a nice set you have there, Stef!

When I was a young kid in the 50's, I thought these were really cool because of the mintmark and also because my Dad was in WWII. I hoarded these out of circulation, and if my memory serves me correctly, I had about 50 rolls. As I grew older, I lost interest in hanging onto them and eventually deposited them into my savings account.

Chris
The person who can laugh at himself always laughs last.

Offline rrantique

• Full Collector
  • Karma +4/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 06:10:56 AM »
Irvin

Offline JRocco

• Full Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 03:49:54 PM »
We needed a Jeff thread.
Beautiful displays guys. War Jeffs are great coins. I have to get off my duff and image some Jeffs.
Hey speaking of Jeffs, I am not really an error guy but check this neat one out.
It is a 95 Jeff that has a strong reverse strike through, mushing out almost the entire reverse.
But of all the areas that for some quirky reason struck through strongly, the steps are darn near full.
Go figure this one out.

Some coins are just plain "interesting"

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 10:02:34 PM »
Looks like it was struck through grease on the reverse, cool that it left the steps :)

Here is a Jefferson proof Cam that I found yesterday while going through 20 unopened proof sets