Author Topic: Is dipping a coin, considered damaging the coin?  (Read 955 times)

Offline bear

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
Is dipping a coin, considered damaging the coin?
« on: May 24, 2011, 05:27:23 PM »
That is an age old question that goes back as long as folks have been collecting coins.
The answer to the question is Yes, no and maybe. It is a rather complex and difficult
question to give a single answer to.

The safest dip for silver coins, is in pure acetone. This will remove most verdigris, grease
dirt and , if done soon enough, finger prints. Pure pharmaceutical acetone will not interact
with the silver molecules on the surface of the coin. Of course, since it evaporates so quickly,
a dip in alcohol after woods is recommended. Many folks do not recommend using acetone
for copper coins as sometimes, it can cause a funky color to appear.

The next level of a dip is the commercial dips having and acidic base. If these dips are use correctly
and carefully one can remove unsightly light tarnish without noticeable damage to the coin, but it then
becomes a matter of how long the dip, how often the dip and how deep the tarnish. Toning occurs
mainly when a silver coin comes in contact with sulfur molecules. This can be found in the air or in the
sulfur impregnated bags that silver dollars were kept in. Sometimes the toning is quite lovely and sometimes,
if contact is too concentrated, the toning turns increasingly dark and ugly. Deep toning generally means that the
sulfur molecules etch into the surface of the coin. When a dip is required to remove the deep tarnish, part of the
coins surface is removes also. This will generally leave what is called a snow white coin. In truth, it is a dead,
lusterless lump of silver. You can often see mountains of such dead, white coins stacked on some dealers tables
that never seem to sell and just overhang the market depressing price sheet levels.It sorta reminds me of the belly
of a dead fish.Too many dips will eventually strip away the skin and the coins luster along with the entire surface of
the coins on a molecular level.

A light tone on a coin, is much easier to remove, with out causing damage to the coin or its luster. One or even two
dips, carefully and properly done in the life of a coin would probably be ok and even leave the luster and most of the
original skin intact. Such minimally dipped coins, often tone again, in a most lovely manner and are quite acceptable
to collectors.

To complete this discussion, we must now talk a bit about ORIGINAL SKIN, what it is, how it occurs and why it
is important to the coin and the collector. When a silver coin is minted, it comes in contact with oxygen in the air
and the surface molecules of the coin are oxidized. This generally leaves a  thin coating of the oxide which is usually
colorless.. This original skin is important, because it generally protects the coin from damaging elements in the air.
The presence of the original skin is also proof that the coin has not been dipped or messed with. Of course a single careful
dip would probably leave most of the original skin intact.This skin will tend to slightly mute the luster, but it adds a rich, deep
quality to the luster that lends personality and character to the coin. Some people dip off the skin to brighten the luster, in hopes
of getting a higher TP grade. What you then have is an unnatural bright and shiny widget that looks like all the other bright , shiny
widgets. No individuality, character or class.

Most coins today have been dipped and dipped and dipped. Many collectors have never seen an original coin that has never
been played with and so have never seen what original skin looks like. Very few classic silver coins seen today are original.
those that still exist come from old, long time collections where the owner was fastidious about keeping the collection their
original state. I believe that these original coins are very under priced in today's market. When the collectors fully understand
and appreciate how ratre original coins really are, the price for them could explode in a major increase .Price sheets of today
totally ignore the price potential of these rare original gems.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 06:23:16 PM by bear »

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
Re: Is dipping a coin, considered damaging the coin?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 06:36:13 PM »
I'm no expert, but why should that stop me from voicing my opinion? ;)

Acetone isn't reactive with the metal (so I've read), so it isn't damaging the coin (although I too have heard that it can change the color on copper).

"Dip" is another story.  I've heard it both ways, some say it can ruin a coin, others say it barely reacts with the metal....I don't know either way.

I prefer to protect and preserve our fine hobby for future generations, so I feel that the less we do with them, the better.  I have seen a few that could use a good dipping though, I think we all have whether we'll admit it publicly or not.

Life's too short to worry about what other people do with their stuff, but we can only hope that they'll use good judgement. :)
please visit my website - http://jetoncollector.com/index.html

Offline bear

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 06:40:50 PM »
FB, I could not agree more with your comments. It is a shame that so many fine coins have
been ruined for future generations, due to greed, stupidity and ignorance.

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 06:49:46 PM »

I do agree with you when you say that most coins have been dipped and dipped and dipped.  I recall hearing that it was commonplace for dealers and collectors to keep their silver nice and clean back in the day.....even nowadays I'd bet that it goes on more than we care to admit. 

We can only show the dippers that we prefer original skin to a nice clean surface, we must show them by buying what we prefer and leaving them holding the rejects. 
please visit my website - http://jetoncollector.com/index.html

Offline bear

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 07:01:02 PM »
I just received a Liberty Seated Half t, however, it apparently has
been dipped so many times it has lost its skin as well as some of the luste I have no problems
with white coins such as my Liberty Standing Quarter or the Liberty Walker half because
they have the look orf originality.and I really enjoy being able to clearly see the lovely detaile
on each coin. As for my other coins, it is clear that I love original toning.
I got in another coin same date and semi PL, that I believe fills the bill
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 03:19:35 PM by bear »

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 08:31:38 PM »
Is dipping a coin, considered damaging the coin?

It is when it is dipped so many times the original skin is stripped and you have a ugly, no luster coin before you