Author Topic: Let us talk a bit about the Mantra of buy the coin and not the plastic  (Read 854 times)

Offline bear

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
In general, I do not argue with the basic warning expressed in the mantra,

However. I believe that a better mantra is BUY THE COIN AND THE PLASTIC.

Of course, the first thing I do is evaluate the coin by first overal impression. Then

I inspect the various componants of the coin. As I always say, the sum total of the

various aspects of the coin must come together in a balanced and pleasing manner.

Now as to the plastic. I have found that some TPG are much stricter in grading certain

series of coins. As a case in point, PCGS grading of FH Liberty Standing Quarters,

Bust Halves and Morgan Dollars appear to be much stricter. Then there is the security

one gets from PCGS efforts to weed out doctored coins. Then there is the guarantee

that is offered by PCGS. I know a number of collectors buy raw coins and while I have

no problem doing so with more inexpensive coins, when someone spends many hundreds

or thousands of dollars, we can not hope to compete with  first tier companies like NGA and

PCGS. Also at sale time, It is very difficult selling an expensive coin that is not in a First tier

holder.I know of examples where sharp eyed collectors who know how to grade are able to pick

out quality coins from second tier companies or even raw coins, but that certain ability is limited

to some rather extraordinary collectors.

Thus my mantra is Buy the coin and the plastic. Also include the price paid as a part of the overall

evaluation of the coin you are interested in buying. Even a nice coin must be purchased at a price that

is within the realm of reason. To be buried in a coin, is a coin that you eventually will sell at a loss.

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
I try to be as independent as I can, and leave the company to their followers.  I see a need for them, but not a dependence. 

If I buy raw, I don't expect to pay as much as if it's tpg graded.  Also, when I sell, I don't expect to get as much, but it evens out, doesn't it? 

I buy the coin, but expect to pay more if it's in a top tier holder.  But personally, I could care less if it's starred or stickered or plussed, but that's just me. 

There are things going on outside of the collector's interest, like playing grades down to decimals, when they don't agree on the grades from day to day anyway.

Buy the coin. :)

please visit my website - http://jetoncollector.com/index.html

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
Maybe I should elaborate --

Did you ever hear of someone submitting a coin until they get the grade they want?

Did you ever disagree with the assigned grade or nongrade? 

Does PCGS grade the same as NGC or ANACS, and is the standard level and consistent?

I understand the need for tpg authentication, but the grading thing is getting crazy.  There are too many variables to put all of your trust in someone who is running a business for themselves and not in your own best interest.  I hate to see so many collectors leaning toward tpg grading and not learning to do it themselves.

CAC is another story - Do we really need yet another verification that the tpg grade is correct?  I just see it as overkill, we should be doing the grading ourselves and we wouldn't need the other guys to validate our purchases.

Just my thoughts, no malice intended. :)  I love collecting, but feel that we should learn all of the various aspects of it, such as grading.
please visit my website - http://jetoncollector.com/index.html

Offline bear

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
Yes, I want the highest grade that my coins are entitled to. However, I want no coin in

my collection that does not warrant such a grade, in my own strict evaluation and opinion.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 04:08:14 PM by bear »

Offline BBN

• Learning The Ropes
  • Karma +0/-0
I buy the coin and plastic myself. I think the grade on the plastic gives the coin a pretty consistent value from one selling venue to another and buyers can be confiedent on whether it's problem free because a TPG OK'd it. The final hammer on a raw coin bought online can vary greatly based on how well the picture was taken or juiced. I guess a graded coin can to but a raw coin probably has a better chance of going much higher or lower.