Author Topic: Local NJ Coin show report with some newps!  (Read 883 times)

Offline AnkurJ

• Learning The Ropes
  • Karma +0/-0
Local NJ Coin show report with some newps!
« on: June 06, 2011, 12:26:34 AM »
Today was the monthly Parsippany, NJ Coin show held at the PAL center featuring close to 100 dealers. I arrived around 8:30, and found the floor croweded with people as usual. There was no line to sell silver in the small room this time around as there was last month. I had some type coins and Morgans to sell, as well as a little bit of silver and gold. I ended up selling everything but one gold soverign. Most dealers were not looking to buy Morgans with the recent price drop. Coins that sold quickly last month were just sitting this time around. As usual, problem coins were sitting month after month. There was absolutely zero demand for the 5oz ATB pucks. Many dealers had them, and when I asked about them, they said no interest. I would say the market is officially flooded. Speaking to a few dealers, it seemed not many were interested in buying silver due to fears of it dropping more.

I went expecting to purchase at least one coin a dealer had on hold for me. That was a 1807 Draped Bust half in PCGS VF35 CAC with very pretty peripheral toning. Other purchases/trades included a 1817 Large Cent graded NGC MS62, and a very pretty 1853 large Cent graded NGC MS63. Both are from a collection I am not familiar with.

Board members I saw included: Halfhunter06, Rld14, Seaeaglecoins, Kiushu, Abitofthisabitofthat, Halfcentman, Commemdude and Joebb21. I apologize if I left anyone out. A board member showed me a coin that was in a PCGS slab...that apparently was switched! I didnt realize this could be done, but apparently it was confirmed. There was a small crack on the edge of the slab, and the coin inside was a dog (same year as the slab label of course). Kind of scary that this can be done, and another reason to buy CAC coins in my book.

Here are my newps. The slabs on the large cents are badly scratched up.

AJ

Always buying purdy toners and early US type!

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
Re: Local NJ Coin show report with some newps!
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 12:43:40 AM »
Beautiful pickups :smiley-cool11:
I was wondering when the hockey puck frenzy would die out and I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did.

Silver buying and selling along with Morgans were sluggish at the Long Beach show as well.

Great show report, thanks for keeping us up to date