Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
US Coins, tokens and medals / Samuel Tilden Camaign Political Tokens
« Last post by coinsarefun on October 31, 2015, 12:41:07 AM »
I recently picked up 2 Samuel Tilden Political Tokens and would like to share it with you.

First One is Samuel J. Tilden: Very scarce variant in copper, SJT 1876-7 in DeWitt/Sullivan.

Second One is Samuel J. Tilden: Rare satirical 1876 campaign token, SJT 1876-9 in DeWitt/Sullivan. Gold-plated brass

Below is an article I found in the Online Numismatist......it mentions both tokens

By Fred L. Reed III

Spare Change column by Fred L. Reed III: Bitter message for candidate — Advertiser pans Democrat Tilden.

New York governor and Democratic reformer Samuel J. Tilden won the popular vote for U.S. president in 1876, but fell one vote short of the 185 electoral votes necessary to seal the deal in the Electoral College. A 15-member Electoral Commission awarded the contested election to Republican Rutherford B. Hayes.

Two years later the Republican-oriented New York Tribune published decoded secret “cipher telegrams” allegedly sent by Tilden’s agents during the 1876 election dispute. The publication claimed these decoded ciphers showed attempted bribes of vote counters in Florida, South Carolina and Oregon.

Although it was discovered that Tilden used similar ciphers in his business dealings, he denied the charges and was personally cleared of involvement. However, the “scandal” gave fodder to his political opponents, and ruined his chances for renomination during the next election cycle.

The store card shown was not circulated by Tilden’s partisans, but circa 1878 to 1880 by his opponents, likely anti-Tilden Brooklyn Argus editor Demas Barnes, who also had a half interest in Drake’s Plantation Bitters.

The Democrat Barnes foretold “Tilden’s ‘Convention’ Bitters,” arising from his scandal, would cause his exit from the party stage at the next national convention in 1880.

Marketers at the time, taking their cue from secret coded ciphers that aided the North in winning the Civil War, jumped on the messaging bandwagon. This was especially true of the omnipresent proprietary medicine vendors, who proliferated trade style ciphers to increase public awareness of their products through “word of mouth” speculation in the marketplace.

The most famous cipher of the period was created for Patrick H. Drake’s proprietary cordial, Drake’s Plantation Bitters, advertised on the reverse of the illustrated store card. Drake’s enigmatic cipher “S. T. — 1860. — X.” was plastered worldwide. It was so omnipresent that it even invaded Mark Twain’s novel The Innocents Abroad and William Dean Howell’s novel The Rise of Silas Lapham.

Drake’s cabalistic slogan meant absolutely nothing, according to his ad agent George P. Rowell, and was only a gimmick to capture public attention.

The portent of Barnes’ anti-Tilden message is much less obscure: “Samuel J. Tilden 1880 exit.”

That 1880 convention was indeed politician Tilden’s last hurrah on the public stage, as Drake’s business partner Barnes had predicted.

Fred L. Reed iii has been a collector and writer for many years. Reach him at www.fredwritesright.com.

This is a grouping belonging to the Cornell University that shows some of the Tilden Tokens....I thought it was put together very nicely.

I also found online some great Political campaign posters

Here is the reference to the Drakes Plantation Bitters......they actual put out the gold guilt token. And Tilden's Convention Bitters refers to the bitterness of his campaign

Below are some of Drake's bottle designs which were very popular and still collectable today.

Drakes Bitters Encased Postage are also very well known and collected

Well........I hope you enjoyed reading this as much as I did collecting the tokens.
I also hope that the formatting comes out on this thread as we no longer have a preview.
And I had to insert breaks to separate the paragraphs

They arrived in the mail today and tried the best I can to show them off to you.

William Till, Silver Halfpenny, 1794, obv lion rampant to left.
Not mentioned in the auction but if you see it in hand you will agree this is a proof. So the rarity started out as very rare as it is silver.....The toning is so beautiful.....a sky blue with some peach and yellows in it.

His mane is yellow so it looks like he is blonde!
Two pics of each to try and show it off.

Here is the 411 on W Till's Bucks Red Lion Inn Halfpenny....This is silver and quite rare compared to the copper.

Though this piece and other Slough pieces are in Dalton & Hamer among provincial tokens of the 18th Century, by most accounts this piece was struck around 1839 and dated 1794 by a coin dealer named William Till.

According to an article in the 1903 British Numismatic Journal, Hamer writes the:

"There are some tokens purporting by the design to have been issued by John Peckham, chemist and druggist, of Slough; and some by W. Till, wine and spirit merchant, of the Red Lion Inn. No mention is made of any of these by Birchall, Conder, Pye, or Sharp, nor are they illustrated in the Virtuoso's Companion, the general opinion being that they were struck for William Till, the coin dealer, probably about the time that he issued the previous specimen. The first numismatic work in which they are recorded is that published by the late D. R. Batty, of Manchester. The writer of the The Bazaar "Notes" describes them, and states that Peckham was a coin collector, and William Till bought his collection. In all probability these tokens were struck to sell to collectors, and bearing, as they do, a fictitious date, W. Till's 1794, J. Peckham's 1795, they cannot be regarded as private tokens."

Below are some screenshots of the Red Lion Inn. It is still open. Although it was closed for sometime to do many repairs.

http://www.redlionhotelwendover.co.uk

Google image of street

Another street scene from Google

Google Map.....Maybe since the auction was held in London and this Red Lion Inn is not too far from it someone wanted it really bad???

The next 2 pictures are from Red Lion Inn website

This is inside the courtyard....as you can see on the token reverse shows a gate to enter and in the pictures. This is what is inside.

Skidmore, Copper Halfpenny, 1793, obv man hanging on a gibbet, church in the distance, END OF PAIN around, rev open book inscribed THE WRONGS OF MAN. JANY. 21 : 1793, edge plain D&H 834

All I can say about this rare halfpenny.....is WOW!!
Its toned, mostly red and just unbelievably reflective fields in hand.
If I didn't know better I would say its a proof...but its not,

Skidmore, Copper Farthing mule, 1796, obv female seated holding a harp,
Dublin, D&H 404

While not very rare as its scarce its a nice example.

Last but not least is just about the nicest Wild Man I have seen thus far.
Well struck as the teeth, nose, shin and hair are fully struck. The reverse is just a tad weak on the cipher but very nice.
Color is not dark with some red showing.....usually they are on the darker side.

Very rare and even rarer struck nice and high mint state. D&H 906
Richard Summers, Copper Halfpenny, 1797, obv head of a wild man

US Coins, tokens and medals / 1652 Pine Tree Sixpence new pickup
« Last post by coinsarefun on May 20, 2015, 08:49:54 PM »
"1652" (1850s) Pine Tree Sixpence. Wyatt Copy in Silver. PCGS graded MS-63.

Noe-L, Kenney-4, W-14072. Lustrous and nicely toned, with accrued golden color that gives this piece a lovely look.
Ford had only one of these, graded EF and it realized $920 a decade ago. This is the only specimen graded by PCGS in any grade so far;
it comes with a PCGS CoinFacts image. Listed on the Noe plates as a counterfeit.

I haven't had time in almost a year to purchase a Russian coin for my collection but happened to
stumble upon this one and had to get it. While being a weak strike I still fell for it as it can be very pricey to find
nice toned Russian coins.

All comments welcome.

I am glad to announce (belatedly, as it has been a few weeks ago) that PCGS has finally seen the light of day and put the various 2014 Kennedy half dollar issues into the complete Kennedy Half Registry Set definitions/compositions. This should help increase demand and financially assist the many of us collectors who poured considerable funds (at least I did, anyway) into these gorgeous coins. They also kept them in some of the Commemorative sets where they were first placed, also good to not harm the collectors of those sets who bought, thinking they would need them for completeness.

In other news, the first session of the celebrated (although that is too mild a word) Pogue Collection is only a few weeks away now from Stack's Bowers, as well as the incredible material (mostly but not entirely Seated Liberty coins) from the Gardner III sale soon to be offered by Heritage! It feels like the numismatic world is collectively holding its breath to capitalize on these two incredible auctions coming up. I expect that the prices will be superstrong, and I continue to believe that a lot of New Money is coming into the numismatic market from folks that we would not classify as traditional numismatists. These folks are liable to swoop down on something like the unique-outside-of-the-Smithsonian 1822 half eagle, or the only known Mint State 1872-CC Seated dime which is in Gardner III, and add it to their collections of Bugattis, Picassos, fine jewelry, and bottles of Chateau Lafite-Rothschild. The strength of those two auctions (particularly given -- again, for another year, relatively lackluster precious metals prices) should go a long way towards determining the health of the numismatic market in 2015. My 2c.

Best Regards,  :)

George
US Coins, tokens and medals / Re: 1870 Proof Shield Nickel
« Last post by rrantique on March 14, 2015, 04:26:09 PM »
Another great addition Don. [url=http://www.freesmileys.or
US Coins, tokens and medals / Re: 1870 Proof Shield Nickel
« Last post by coinsarefun on March 10, 2015, 07:29:45 PM »
Looks pretty nice Don, can't wait for your image.

US Coins, tokens and medals / 1870 Proof Shield Nickel
« Last post by regandon on March 09, 2015, 11:36:30 PM »
This is a new one for the US 19th century proof collection.
Mintage : 1000

Photo is not mine, I will photograph this coin this weekend.
US Coins, tokens and medals / Re: PR Liberty V
« Last post by coinsarefun on March 04, 2015, 03:31:07 PM »
Thanks guys. I am also looking at adding Proof Seated Liberty Half Dollars.

OOoooooo, I can't wait to see some Proof Seated material  :P

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10