Author Topic: I collect paintings  (Read 10350 times)

Offline darktone

• Learning The Ropes
  • Karma +0/-0
I collect paintings
« on: August 11, 2009, 07:21:01 PM »
Nothing real expensive. I don't know enough to spend money on the good stuff but I did luck out and got a couple original Lloyd Garrison pieces for $150 each. Just bought this one on ebay for $50.http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280371552196&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
Re: I collect paintings
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 09:46:48 PM »
Nice one. I also love and collect paintings and I like etchings as well.

One day when I gather enough $$$$$$$ together I am going to buy one
of this artists' paintings :)http://www.piccadillys.com/Butirskiy/alexeibutirskiyviewall.html

I really like landscapes and city or "architecturalscapes", probably because of my Architectural background :)

My problem is that I like all of his paintings, so it may be a very hard decision

Just one example, he is still relatively affordable because he is not that well known to the market yet

Offline darktone

• Learning The Ropes
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 05:22:34 AM »
Those are very nice! A little out of my price range though so I better not look too much ;). I also collect pastel paintings. This my favorite a still life Chandler. It just amazes me how such a delicate thing can survive over a hundred years and stay so perfect.

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 10:48:30 AM »
That is a beautiful still life!!

If you really want to save $$ you can always paint yourself :)

I did these some 20 years ago(have to get better images)
........Now I have exposed myself as a true amateur  :D

Offline darktone

• Learning The Ropes
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 05:45:19 AM »
Wow! very nice! You should do more! I am afraid my skills are on the level of making stick men :D. Twenty years ago you made these? you did these in second grade ;).

Offline Billy Kingsley

• Full Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
    • My Fotki- almost 90 thousand photos!
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 10:01:09 PM »
Those are great paintings! Especially the top one Stephanie, snow scenes just "click" with me.

I have often debating taking up painting. I already have hundreds of colors, from my model car building, but I have never found the motivation. There is always something else to do more important, not enough time in the day, etc. I really should one of these days. I like the realistic paintings, the ones that look like you can step through the frame and be there...not really a fan at all of abstract or bizarre stuff.

Here's a funny story. My mom, back in the late 1960s, was at the same party Peter Max was at. He took a liking to my mom, be she didn't like him at all. He offered to give her ANYTHING she wanted but she turned him down...she now regrets that, because an original by him sells for a lot of money these days.

OK, that's not too funny, more sad...lol.
Billy Kingsley Member: ANA, SPMC
http://public.fotki.com/ElCaminoBilly/
Collector of all coins, currency, whatever I like!

Offline darktone

• Learning The Ropes
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 09:06:59 AM »
Bill, cool story! I would love to have an original Peter MAX. Right now I have to settle for some 7-up stuff. Here's a new Lloyd Garrison piece I just bought. The sad clown brings a lot of thougt with the other clowns looking on. What do you think?  :)

Offline Billy Kingsley

• Full Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
    • My Fotki- almost 90 thousand photos!
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 09:01:41 AM »
:) I have to wonder if the sad clown is sad because of the something the other clowns did to him. OR, perhaps they are conspiring a plan to make him happy again.
Billy Kingsley Member: ANA, SPMC
http://public.fotki.com/ElCaminoBilly/
Collector of all coins, currency, whatever I like!

Offline cpm9ball

• Top Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 08:24:43 AM »
My Mom was an artist for 75 years. Though she will never be remembered as an artist of renown, her paintings will always have a special place in my heart. The first one is a watercolor of my great-great-great uncle, "Stonewall" Jackson. The pen & ink caricatures of the Marx Brothers and Lincoln are from the 30's.

Chris

The person who can laugh at himself always laughs last.

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2010, 09:25:29 AM »
That is a beautiful still life!!

If you really want to save $$ you can always paint yourself :)

I did these some 20 years ago(have to get better images)
........Now I have exposed myself as a true amateur  :D

Wow! Those are beautiful landscape paintings you've done. You're very talented. I was an art major from 1987-1990, and learned to use different mediums. Thanks for sharing your work. :ThumbsUp;

~Daniel