Author Topic: Space pics  (Read 10187 times)

Offline regandon

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +4/-0
Space pics
« on: October 25, 2011, 06:52:37 PM »
I have been spending a lot of my time in my observatory doing a lot of astrorphotography. Here are a few pics.

regandon
ANA member #R-3128774

Knights Templer
IN . HOC . SIGNO . VINGS

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
Re: Space pics
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 07:03:38 PM »
That is freakin amazing 8)

I want to see more pic's....please :)

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 07:33:09 PM »
I can't tell you how many times I looked at telescopes and wanted to buy one.  I just haven't talked myself into it, but those pictures may get me to looking again.

I LOVE this kind of thing!  Does the telescope hook up to your computer or does it have a built-in camera?  I haven't seen them lately, but I bet the technology is advancing quickly.  They also had some sort of starmapping function when I last looked, but it sounded complicated to me. 
please visit my website - http://jetoncollector.com/index.html

Offline regandon

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +4/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 08:07:29 PM »
That is freakin amazing 8)

I want to see more pic's....please :)

Thanks. Here is a pic of Mars I took a few yrs ago.
regandon
ANA member #R-3128774

Knights Templer
IN . HOC . SIGNO . VINGS

Offline regandon

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +4/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 08:09:20 PM »
I can't tell you how many times I looked at telescopes and wanted to buy one.  I just haven't talked myself into it, but those pictures may get me to looking again.

I LOVE this kind of thing!  Does the telescope hook up to your computer or does it have a built-in camera?  I haven't seen them lately, but I bet the technology is advancing quickly.  They also had some sort of starmapping function when I last looked, but it sounded complicated to me.

The pic of the scope I have posted has an on board computer and GPS system. I have a main computer that takes tracking readings and makes corrections to the scopes computer if it starts to make tracking errors. The camera is also controled by the main computer. I have another computer that opens and closes the domes shutter, and I have a back up power system if the power goes out. My main scope has a 10" aperture working at f/6.3 that I use for photographing deep sky objects. This scope sits on the second floor of the observatory. In the scond dome is my 6" f/8 refractor that I use for photographing the Planets. The observatory is 25'x12' which gives me a lot of room to move around in.
regandon
ANA member #R-3128774

Knights Templer
IN . HOC . SIGNO . VINGS

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 08:55:35 PM »
Truly amazing, I can look at these images all day long.

I have an iPhone and it has an application that shows in real time the position of the stars, sun and moon along with the space station but it pales in comparison to this :)

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 05:27:38 AM »
It sounds like you have put some time and effort into this, Don.  A fascinating hobby, no doubt.   

And as I stepped out the back door last night, I remember exactly why I haven't purchased a telescope yet - these hazy southern skies.  Sometimes we have a clear view, but not all that often.
please visit my website - http://jetoncollector.com/index.html

Offline Larry

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 12:01:38 AM »
Terrific images, regandon.
Such work requires detailed preparation and a lot of patience.

Thanks for sharing them.
I have collected U.S coins for many years, and then Civil War Tokens, but am now actively building a collection of Conder Tokens,
the coins that made the Industrial Revolution a whopping success. : )

Offline mmarotta

• Full Collector
  • Karma +2/-0
  • "There's a blaze of light in every word..."
    • Necessary Facts
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 07:39:19 PM »
Truly amazing!  I have owned several telescopes over the years and used a couple of university observatories, but the photography takes a special touch that I just do not have.  Equipment is irrelevant: it is the user.  Nice work.  Thanks!

(Below: Ruger Boskovic solved a limited three-body problem.  Astrolabe on Iraqi note.)

« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 07:41:05 PM by mmarotta »
Mike M.
------------------------------------------------
Michael E. Marotta
ANA                                                      MSNS  
http://necessaryfacts.blogspot.com
---------------------------------------------