Author Topic: What Clubs Do You Belong To?  (Read 15415 times)

Offline mmarotta

• Full Collector
  • Karma +2/-0
  • "There's a blaze of light in every word..."
    • Necessary Facts
What Clubs Do You Belong To?
« on: January 28, 2014, 08:22:44 PM »
I just renewed my ANA membership, a little late, I confess... 

Even though I now live in Texas, I renewed my Michigan State Numismatic Society membership back in November.  MSNS publishes a great quarterly magazine, in full color and on glossy paper.  Each issue runs about 50-60 pages and offers about six or eight feature articles of about 1000 words each.  (MSNS pays ten cents per word to a maximum of $100.) The articles tend to run the full range of interests because they are the independent contributions of active collectors: The Mich-Matist has no editorial calendar.

Although I am not a member of the Numismatic Bibliomania Society, I am on the weekly E-Sylum maillist. (I have been an NBS member in years past.)  Books are an under-appreciated aspect of our hobby.  "Buy the book before you buy the coin" was the advice of Aaron Feldman, an avid dealer and collector of the previous generation.  The NBS is for all aspects of publishing, often ranging far from books into auction catalogs, biographies of collectors or Mint officers, printed ephemera, numismatic tie-ins such as post cards and cigarette cards with coins, and much more.  While NBS stalwart Wayne Homren is the editor of the E-Sylum, the topics are defined by the interests of the writers.

In addition to your local coin club, national and regional clubs, and of course the ANA and ANS, perhaps about 50 different specialty clubs serve the hobby.  Just about every series you can imagine is represented.

Mike M.
------------------------------------------------
Michael E. Marotta
ANA                                                      MSNS  
http://necessaryfacts.blogspot.com
---------------------------------------------

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
Re: What Clubs Do You Belong To?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 11:21:27 AM »
I belong to the ANA and The Conder Token Club......I need to get on the weekly E-Sylum mailing  list.