Author Topic: Who do you trust...  (Read 10638 times)

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
Re: Who do you trust...
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 06:55:47 PM »

Well, this just arrived this morning.  In my usual fashion, I bought it from off Ebay from a seller I hadn't seen before.  The price was decent (I think), and he shipped it well, so I'm pleased with it.

Very, very nice.........I feel the force......its pulling me.....into......paper ;)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 09:03:31 PM by coinsarefun »

Offline Billy Kingsley

• Full Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
    • My Fotki- almost 90 thousand photos!
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 04:42:44 PM »
I really want a Colonial issue someday. I can hope. Out of my price range (as are Nationals) for the forseeable future but I can hope. I would prefer a Colonial from New York (Query: Was NYC the only place they were issued from?) but if I can find one, at a price I can afford and it is authentic...it won't matter where it's from!
Billy Kingsley Member: ANA, SPMC
http://public.fotki.com/ElCaminoBilly/
Collector of all coins, currency, whatever I like!

Offline Scottishmoney

• Full Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
    • Scottish Coinage and Beauties on Banknotes
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2010, 06:37:54 AM »
Billy, they are very affordable.  Colonials from New York are possible from the Colony of New York, New York City, Albany New York, and a couple of smaller issuers.

Offline Billy Kingsley

• Full Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
    • My Fotki- almost 90 thousand photos!
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2010, 11:56:28 PM »
That is definitly something I am going to have to work on in the very near future!
Billy Kingsley Member: ANA, SPMC
http://public.fotki.com/ElCaminoBilly/
Collector of all coins, currency, whatever I like!

Offline mmarotta

• Full Collector
  • Karma +2/-0
  • "There's a blaze of light in every word..."
    • Necessary Facts
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2010, 08:52:53 PM »
Yeah, I should have probably been a little more specific.  I am interested in historic events, and money that would have been in circulation in the period.I thought I'd try some U.S. notes from important periods in U.S. history. How's this for a start?

#1- Revolutionary War, #2- Civil War, and #3 the "old west". 

It's a no-brainer: always default to an ANA member dealer.  On the Membership dropdown at the left side of the www.money.org homepage, you can do a dealer search.  Find a dealer near you.  They have stuff in the backstock, even if it is not listed.  You can search for Paper Money dealers, also, and use email for most of them, to ask about what they have -- if you can be specific. 

Start with the books. 

Professional reputations are earned and valued.  You can ask around... but there is something called -cognitive dissonance-.    The theory of cognitive dissonance says that people find new reasons to support old decisions they cannot change.  So, if you ask someone for a recommendation, they might very well tell you what they want to believe -- and a mediocre deal becomes "OK" and then "great" over time. 

Do you ever go to conventions or shows?  It can be very productive to not buy anything for two years while you read and research and save your money and pay for the travel and lodging because the net will be cheaper than a lot of mistakes and you will be happier with your purchases.

Even if you are already an ANA member, you could probably benefit from joining The Society Paper Money Collectors  http://www.spmc.org/. 
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 08:58:37 PM by mmarotta »
Mike M.
------------------------------------------------
Michael E. Marotta
ANA                                                      MSNS  
http://necessaryfacts.blogspot.com
---------------------------------------------