Author Topic: Coins Are Fun Coin Design contest with a cash prize!!  (Read 29672 times)

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
Re: Coins Are Fun Coin Design contest with a cash prize!!
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2010, 06:12:34 PM »

What a fun way to spend an afternoon! :)

How about this, picture it on a big 40mm+ silver planchet-

Ooooo, your peeking my interest on this one. I really like this one Happy(*)
We also need to keep in mind that I will be handing these out at the coin shows.
So we might have to make them in a less expensive material.

With a few in silver for those who want to buy it as bullion

But everyone will get a free one made from the inexpensive material :)

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2010, 06:33:02 PM »
We also need to keep in mind that I will be handing these out at the coin shows.

Oh, alright.....we'll make gold ones for ourselves and pass out  copper ones to guests.  ;D
please visit my website - http://jetoncollector.com/index.html

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2010, 06:34:41 PM »

I like that idea :D

Oh, alright.....we'll make gold ones for ourselves and pass out  copper ones to guests.  ;D

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2010, 06:36:10 PM »

Actually, a large size may be an issue to produce, I'd have to check on the limitations offered by the medal producers.  I'd still love to see that one in silver though, nicely toned after many years of storage, maybe stored in one of those velvet Canadian dollar holders.

Offline Conderluva

• Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2010, 07:56:47 PM »
The ship is very sharp.  Like the wreath reverse too!

Offline mmarotta

• Full Collector
  • Karma +2/-0
  • "There's a blaze of light in every word..."
    • Necessary Facts
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2010, 06:29:01 AM »
Those are all good ideas for brainstorming.  The final work has to be something that reflects the essence of the Board and the present Group of posters.  (We know so little about the Viewers.)  If you look at the homepage, you see the baroque or rococco, in "Fun."  Also, if you delve into the linked images and their links, you discover a treasury of information.  To me, this is not one of those boards where you put up a picture and five people reply, "Cool!" and we go on the next one.  It is the difference between Bach or Scarlotti and an Irish jig or "Row row row your boat." The folksie things can be a lot of fun and involve some teamwork.  But there is no "stuff" nothing below the surface.  With "Coins are Fun" the fun is real because there is very much below the surface.

At least, that's how I see the Board. 

Has anyone read The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand?  Every creation reflects the integrity of the artist.  The solution to an artistic problem does not borrow pieces from other works, any more than a person borrows pieces of someone else's body -- or soul.

Brainstorming is a process.  It starts with ideas like these, where you take what is known and given, but through a proceess of association and then free association and then creation, you come up with the new, the original, the essential statement.

Mike M.
------------------------------------------------
Michael E. Marotta
ANA                                                      MSNS  
http://necessaryfacts.blogspot.com
---------------------------------------------

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2010, 08:11:06 AM »

I agree.   As most people here already know, I collect jetons almost exclusively now.  Jetons represent tan early  progression of what we are attmpting here, tokens designed to commemorate an event or group.  The artistic stylings of the 17-1800's jetons are often simple yet beautiful to me. 

Notice on modern coinage, all of the lettering and "clutter" that has been deemed necessary by committee.  This is what I dislike about modern coinage.  In my attempts at a design, I would love to capture (in a few words) the heart of this group.  To me it's the friendly atmosphere and lack of scrutiny.   We all have very different styles, but still have interest and support for other members and their collections.  I have a love for simplstic yet beautiful designs, and hope to eventually convey that in a design. 

I did a Google search for "coin club token", just to see what others have done.   There are far too many that appear as modern coinage or Chuck E cheese style tokens.  I think we should pursue a more classiic styling, and do "our own thing".  This is a really fun little project, and I hope we can get much more input from the rest of the gang.  Let's see what others are thinking.   My attempts are just rooted in my own interests and experience, so I can imagine that others will come up with completely different ideas.

Offline wrongwayted

• Learning The Ropes
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2010, 11:30:45 AM »
I am new to coin collecting.  I did a quick search for token design and found the following site: http://www.hoffmanmint.com/designcoin.pdf 
I truely don't know how useful the link will be for the rest of the members since this site seems to have extremely knowlegble members that most likely not need it.  This is truly going to be a great learning experience for me by researching past token.   

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2010, 02:05:16 PM »
I am new to coin collecting.  I did a quick search for token design and found the following site: http://www.hoffmanmint.com/designcoin.pdf 
I truely don't know how useful the link will be for the rest of the members since this site seems to have extremely knowlegble members that most likely not need it.  This is truly going to be a great learning experience for me by researching past token.   

I saw that site, too.  I wish they supplied a few clipart pics with that, but it's a good starting point.  You can easily add text from the ms paint program, and search Google images for whatever clipart or pictures you want to use for ideas.  There really are tons of possibilities.  Research of what others have used for their token design can be helpful, too. 

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2010, 03:38:56 PM »

Oh, and welcome to the forum Ianmanaz! :Welcome;