1796 Conder Token • Norfolk 6 • Bronzed UNC

Back
  • 1796 Conder Token • Norfolk 6 • Bronzed UNC   by Larry on 26 Jan, 2011 04:28

• I received five Conder Tokens today and will post them all in days to come.

Here are photos of the first, a Norfolk halfpenny, DH 6 in Bronzed UNC.

• Reply #1   by regandon on 26 Jan, 2011 07:27
  • Very nice one Larry. I like the design on this one.
  • Reply #2   by coinsarefun on 26 Jan, 2011 11:39
  • Very nice Larry, is this an early die state of the one I have?

• Reply #3   by Larry on 26 Jan, 2011 12:46
  • Yes, Stefanie, they are the same issue.  I'm lucky to find one where the die crack and cud were apparently just beginning.

But mine is no MS-65.  Wow.
    I'd estimate mine's grade at MS-62 or so.
  • Reply #4   by coinsarefun on 26 Jan, 2011 13:01
  • I see them mostly with the large cud formed. I haven't seen one in an an early die state,
    I wonder if yours in such an early die state is rarer?
  • Reply #5   by Larry on 26 Jan, 2011 15:07

• I have another example on the way from England, in a similar, earlier die state.
    But that one is not an UNC.  Here is the seller's description, indicating that the issue is Scarce.
    He explains its scarcity rather nicely.  : )

"Scarce Fifth Troop Norfolk Yeomanry Blofield (Norfolk) copper Conder halfpenny token dated 1796. Obverse: A group of weapons and musical instruments beneath a banner reading: “FIFTH TROOP” with legend: “BLOFIELD CAVALRY”. Reverse: A mounted yeoman with drawn sword riding to the left: “LOYAL NORFOLK YEOMANRY MDCCXCVI”. Edge inscription: “FEAR GOD AND HONOUR THE KING. X X.”. Listed in Bell's “Tradesmens Tickets and Private Tokens 1785-1819” as “SCARCE” as only twelve pounds weight were struck. This was probably issued by a member of the Fifth Troop. Ex-Neil Beaton Collection. Lovely collectable condition with very little of the later die flaw developed, see photograph.

"D&H Norfolk No: 6. Diameter 29mm. EF. £195.00"

I see this issue as possibly a challenge medal issued to members of the Fifth Troop, though one might be readily accepted as payment anywhere there.  Some obviously circulated and perhaps they were designed to do so and were simply a merchant token.  But I think collectors snapped them up in many cases, or they passed in the estates of members of the Fifth Troop of the Blofield Cavalry, one of a few such paramilitary local yeomanry cavalries in Norfolk County. 

I suspect their activities were more ceremonial, performing at fairs or in dress parades, rather than actually fighting, though I read that there had been some participation by such troops in battles.  I believe preparation for invasion by foreign forces, perhaps the French, was at the root of initial formation of the local yeomanries.  Fifth Troop may have been the Blofield  troop's role in the county defenses, or perhaps there were five troops or more in Blofield alone, but I doubt that.

More research is in order.  : )

• Reply #6   by Larry on 26 Jan, 2011 16:25

• Here's a link to images that show this issue, with cud,  holed and employed as a medal suspended from a ribbon.

http://www.nmm.ac.uk/collections/displayRepro.cfm?reproID=E8069-2#content

And here's a link to an outtanding mule.

http://coins.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=460&Lot_No=2975

Here's alnik to and explanation about Talbot, Allum and Lee...

http://www.coins.nd.edu/ColCoin/ColCoinIntros/TALCent.intro.html

Here's more on the Talbot, Allum and Lee varieties...

http://coinauctionshelp.com/privatetokensaftertheconfederation_talbot_allum_lee_cents.html

This is getting more and more interesting.  Apparently, Thomas Wyon was the die sinker and Peter Kempson the manufacturer of all the Fifth Troop tokens.,
    whether struck for American or British usage. :Obviously, the cents designed and struck for Talbot, Allum and Lee were designed to circulate here in the U.S.

We see our old Conder Token friend, John Howard, famous for prison reform.  That variety proves for me that John Howard was well known in the U.S. as well,
    and I already knew he was a popular figure in Canada.

• Reply #7   by Larry on 26 Jan, 2011 16:57
  • I have ordered two more tokens today, both Norfolk 6.
    These tie England and the U.S in a new way for me.

Sure wish I had them all,  LOL
  • Reply #8   by coinsarefun on 26 Jan, 2011 19:11
  • Thanks for the info Larry, one day I would love to own a 1795 1C Talbot, Allum & Lee/Blofield Cavalry Mule :)
  • Reply #9   by BCNumismatics on 30 Jan, 2011 22:59
  • Larry,
      That's another amazing coin that you've got there.

Keep them coming please!

Aidan.

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?