Camera and set ups

Back
  • Camera and set ups   by coinsarefun on 28 Jun, 2009 22:27
  • Share your secrets with us.
  • Reply #1   by regandon on 07 Aug, 2009 11:22
  • I'm not that good at coin photography, but I'm getting better. I use a Canon 5D full frame 12.8 mag. SLR. I use a Canon 24-105mm L lens and have orderd a Canon 180mm macro today. I use two 300 watt lights set up on each side of the coin. I use a tripod with a ball head mount, and point the camera down at the coin. After reading up on coin photography I've gotten a little better at it. I some times use two off camera Canon 580 flash units for lighting.
  • Reply #2   by DLt-Sandwich on 12 Sep, 2009 20:34
  • One word.....SCANNER
    It shows a lot of detail But NO luster,
  • Reply #3   by Zantetsuken on 23 Sep, 2009 23:04
  • I'm not great at coin photography, but I'm getting better as I practice. One thing I never use is a flash. It causes too much of a glare on the subject, and causes the image to look washed out. Instead, I use natural light. My desk lamp usually gives a yellowish light, whereas a fluorescent lamp gives off a bluish tint. As for scanners, I used to use my scanner for coins, but the images usually looked fuzzy and the toning looked horrible. I save the scanner for banknotes instead because it's easier get the correct results.
  • Reply #4   by regandon on 26 Sep, 2009 17:28
  • Nothing wrong with using off camera flash. Here are two coins, I used off camera flash with an Omni.
  • Reply #5   by Zantetsuken on 26 Sep, 2009 18:05
  • Nothing wrong with using off camera flash. Here are two coins, I used off camera flash with an Omni.

Very nice. I unfortunately don't have an off camera flash, so I use existing light. Thanks for sharing.
  • Reply #6   by Larry on 29 Oct, 2009 13:33
  • One word.....SCANNER
    It shows a lot of detail But NO luster,
    [/i][/b]

SCANNER IS A 7-LETTER WORD.    :LOL;

• Reply #7   by Larry on 29 Oct, 2009 14:57
  • Please expand your window enough so that red hearts appear in a row at the left-hand margin.  : )

I have a photographic 'toolbox,' I suppose.

In my toolbox are:

:Beatingheart;  corks and rubber stopper

:Beatingheart;  black velvet, they recognize me at Vogue Fabrics now.   :))

:Beatingheart;  pinking shears, thanks to my wife

:Beatingheart;   painter's tape, lint roller

:Beatingheart;   white paper -- good luck finding one your camera will recognize as pure white

:Beatingheart;   mirror --  8" x 8" square may be best; mine has plastic frame

:Beatingheart;   leaf of my desk is on right.  All numismatography is performed there.

:Beatingheart;    Bogen Manfrotto miracle composite tripod and an old Hollywood metal tripod ;D

:Beatingheart;    Nikon D300, Micro-NIKKOR 60mm ED lens, also have 105mm VR ED micro lens

:Beatingheart;    4 Nikon SW-12 diffusers, Nikon R1C1 closeup flash system included one.  Part No.  NK4907

:Beatingheart;    Bubble level (Home Depot, cheap), use levelers on desk to level leaf of desk!

:Beatingheart;    Axial Lighting Device,  use for coins with toning, simulates tipping coin toward light

:Beatingheart;    Giotto Rocket Air Blaster -- like nasal syringe for infants -- invaluable

:Beatingheart;    squirrel hair brush

:Beatingheart;    vacuum cleaner

:Beatingheart;    clear plastic easel -- I put backgrounds on it and have them reflected in mirror behind coin image

:Beatingheart;    Gray card -- 8-12 x 11 gray card when cut makes square card and two smaller cards

:Beatingheart;    Under Construction -- more to come...

• Reply #8   by FilthyBroke on 29 Oct, 2009 17:43
  • I just go by the idea that it's digital, take lots of pics and one or two will surely turn out nice.  Delete the rest. ;) I use outdoor light for some, flourescents for others.  That just depends on the coin.

Oh, and my camera is a Sony DSC-H5 with 7 or 8 megapixels, can't remember.  It has a built-in macro, so that helps.
  • Reply #9   by Zantetsuken on 29 Oct, 2009 19:15
  • I just go by the idea that it's digital, take lots of pics and one or two will surely turn out nice.  Delete the rest. ;) I use outdoor light for some, flourescents for others.  That just depends on the coin.

Oh, and my camera is a Sony DSC-H5 with 7 or 8 megapixels, can't remember.  It has a built-in macro, so that helps.

Sony has good cameras.  Mine is the Sony: Cybershot DSC-W150 8.1 Megapixel. Macro feature is pretty much a requirement when doing detailed closeup of coins. Otherwise the photos will be too blury to work.

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Go to page: