Author Topic: Salzburg Klippes and some history  (Read 2240 times)

Offline Zohar444

• Shooting Taler Set
  • Full Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
    • My Taler Collection
Salzburg Klippes and some history
« on: March 12, 2011, 04:59:53 PM »
A klippe is a square coin minted on more easily produced square flans either using round or square dies. These coins were originally issued under unfavourable conditions, such as a city under siege. Such emergency coinage were issued in Vienna in 1529, while the city was besieged by the troops of the Ottoman Empire. However, by the seventeenth century, klippe were also commonly produced as presentation pieces or awards.

In the late 16th century, the Ottoman Empire tried to conquer entire Europe. The Balkans was completely occupied, the front line had moved to Hungary, but parts of Carinthia and Styria suffered from the attacks as well. The diocese of Salzburg owned some property in the region and on October 28th, 1592, Bishop Wolf Dietrich of Raitenau sent 1.000 soldiers at his own expense and led by his uncle Jakob Hannibal I of Hohenems to the Habsburg emperor as auxiliary troops for the Turkish wars. These soldiers returned a year later without having been involved in a single military action. Wolf Dietrich distributed gold coins and a Taler to the participants according to their rank. Contemporary sources connect the ‘tower in storm’ taler of 1593 with the reward Wolf Dietrich had earned for sending his troops against the Turks.

1593 1/2 Taler of Storm Klippe

1593 2 Taler of Storm Klippe (4 times the weight)

Other later years klippes issued at Salzburg:

1644 1/9 Taler Klippe

1673 1/9 Taler Klippe

Offline regandon

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +4/-0
Re: Salzburg Klippes and some history
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 05:28:35 PM »
That 2Taler is a piece is rare and very hard to find.  :smiley-cool11:

That 1/2Taler is way better than AU50.
regandon
ANA member #R-3128774

Knights Templer
IN . HOC . SIGNO . VINGS

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 05:56:26 PM »
Cool klippes, and thanks for the info on them. :ThumbsUp;

I really like the look of that 1644.
please visit my website - http://jetoncollector.com/index.html

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 09:14:56 PM »
Nice ones!

I have been seeing these pop up more and more over time. I think they are gaining in popularity.
So, maybe I have to give in and get myself one ;D

Offline regandon

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +4/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 09:44:04 AM »
Nice ones!

I have been seeing these pop up more and more over time. I think they are gaining in popularity.
So, maybe I have to give in and get myself one ;D

Look for the 1/9Taler, 1/4Taler and 1/2Taler issues, as they are easier to come by and more affordable. In higher grades of AU look at $600 or more for the 1/4Talers. With the 1/2Talers it could set you back at $1,500 or more. As for the Taler and larger denominations, the prices can be quite an eye opener. In mint state 61 you will see prices in the $5,000 range for the Taler and more for the higher denominations. In mint state 64 you can buy a new car for the price a Taler Klippe will go for.
You are correct about seeing these on the open market more now then a few years back.
regandon
ANA member #R-3128774

Knights Templer
IN . HOC . SIGNO . VINGS

Offline Zohar444

• Shooting Taler Set
  • Full Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
    • My Taler Collection
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 10:08:14 AM »
Regandon is very right. Many of these are floating out there in lower grades, much fewer in higher AU-MS. When searching auction archives on Heritage/Stacks and coinarchives I could not find any in MS, very few in AU. While not really within my core set, when I was offered to take the 1/2 and 2 Taler paid, I did.