Author Topic: 1792 2/3's Thaler ( Saxony Germany )  (Read 1753 times)

Offline regandon

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +4/-0
1792 2/3's Thaler ( Saxony Germany )
« on: February 16, 2013, 10:16:17 AM »
This is what is called a Vicariate Issue. The 2/3's Thaler is graded NGC AU 53 and the 2 Groschen is NGC AU 58.

1/2 and 2/3's Thalers are not easy to find in high grades. The larger denomination Thalers are easier to find in MS grades. As for the 1/4 Thalers, that is a area that finding high grades are not easy at all.

The 2/3's Thaler that I have posted is a one year series that coins of many denomination were minted. I so far have the 2/3's Thaler and the 2 Groschen. I should have the coins in hand by Monday. I will post my pics of them also.

While I like to collect Thalers, most collectors of 16th to 18th century German States coinage over look the 1/2 and 2/3's Thalers and go only for the big sized 1 and 2 Thaler denomination. What they are missing out on, are some very rare coins. I do not mean rare by mintage (even though there are some very rare 1/2 and 2/3's Thalers), but the smaller denomination Thalers are not very plentiful in high grade. The smaller denomination Thalers were used in everyday commerce very heavily, as the higher denominations were mainly held on to by the rich nobles that collected them for their collections. You can find full Thalers in high grades more than you can the smaller 1/2 and 2/3's Thalers do to nobles collecting them for their coin cabinets. Now 1/4 Thalers are a whole other story that I will get into on another day.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 10:55:46 AM by regandon »

regandon
ANA member #R-3128774

Knights Templer
IN . HOC . SIGNO . VINGS

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
Re: 1792 2/3's Thaler ( Saxony Germany )
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 04:55:46 PM »
Amazing images of some awesome coins, thanks for sharing :1Applause;

Offline VDB Coins

• Collector
  • Karma +2/-0
    • VDB Coins
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 02:07:33 PM »
Yes, those are awfully nice coins and an informative post. I love the Thalers as well although do not own many. Interesting that the 2/3s Thaler appears to have planchet adjustment marks before striking, just as one might see on early American gold. Is that what they are, the linear marks that are parallel and appear to be in the planchet before striking rather than some kind of postmint damage? Thanks again.

Best Regards,  [url=http://www.freesmileys.or

George
Best Regards,

George
www.VDBCoins.com

Offline regandon

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +4/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 04:32:39 PM »
More info. on adjustment marks. Not until the middle 1800's did the minting process start to get perfected in cutting out the correct weighed blanks for coinage. That is why you do not see adjustment marks on coinage from the middle 1800's to today. It is not uncommon to see German coinages from the 1500's to the early 1800's with adjustment marks that are in mint state condition.
regandon
ANA member #R-3128774

Knights Templer
IN . HOC . SIGNO . VINGS