Author Topic: World Premiere!  (Read 39619 times)

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
Re: World Premiere!
« Reply #350 on: July 18, 2011, 07:46:40 AM »
They do look much older than that.  I wouldn't have thought that poor coining was an issue in such modern times.  Well, at least the planchets are still round.  These tealbys are some of the worst I've seen, even worse than the civil war era coinage of Stephen and Henry I.

Here's another tealby penny that I got last week, now I just need to decide which one of the two to keep...which do you like better?   

True that. The reason might be was these were minted in the rural areas of Asia where they didn't have modern equipment. The one from Szechuan Shensi, was issued during Mao's first and failed attempt to bring communism to China. Due to the instabilty of the region, these could have been minted in a barn for all we know.

As for choosing which Tealby coin to keep, I think you should keep the first one. It has slightly, although not much, better detail on the obverse side. Just my opinion though. You're right. These are definitely among the poorest quality coins I've seen. Even for medieval coins. Certainly reflects the minting facilities they had at the time.

~Daniel

Offline wolfkill

• Learning The Ropes
  • Karma +0/-1
« Reply #351 on: July 18, 2011, 05:10:32 PM »
 :agree; :agree; :agree; :agree;i dont like it

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #352 on: July 18, 2011, 05:18:04 PM »

Ok, I'm going to have to ask for a little deeper explanation, though.  What is it that you don't like about it? 
please visit my website - http://jetoncollector.com/index.html

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #353 on: July 18, 2011, 05:23:45 PM »

Ok, I'm going to have to ask for a little deeper explanation, though.  What is it that you don't like about it?

That's what I was wondering, what's not to like :smiley-signs002:

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #354 on: July 18, 2011, 05:30:38 PM »
That's what I was wondering, what's not to like :smiley-signs002:

These coins are full of history, ugly as they are....well, not ugly to me as I see a distant past with the men who helped to build today's society.  The struggle of church and state, the events leading up to the Magna Carta, and just plain medieval lore can be quite interesting and entertaining.
please visit my website - http://jetoncollector.com/index.html

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #355 on: July 28, 2011, 08:26:52 PM »
The following two blocks are coins that I received in the last couple of days. This first one is from GERMANY (THIRD REICH), dated 1940 A. These were military issues that circulated in occupied territories only. Mint: Berlin.

GERMANY (THIRD REICH)~10 Reichspfennig *Military* 1940 A,

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #356 on: July 28, 2011, 08:37:40 PM »
I finally have one to add here on this killer thread ;D

Not even my area, but saw this and loved the toning

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #357 on: July 28, 2011, 08:45:40 PM »
The next is a silver wire Kopek from RUSSIA (NOVGOROD) dating from 1533-1547. Issued under Grand Duke: Ivan Rurik IV~The Terrible. Ivan IV held two titles during his life. He reigned as a Grand Duke from 1533-1547, then as a Tsar from 1547 until his death 1584. There are numerous coins attributed to Ivan the Terrible under both titles.

RUSSIA (NOVGOROD)~AR Kopek 1533-1547

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #358 on: July 28, 2011, 08:48:17 PM »
Love it Stef. Both the toning and the profile of Victoria. Granted, British and English aren't exactly my forte either, but they are still interesting. Especially the Victorian issues and earlier. Thanks for sharing.

~Daniel
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 08:55:21 PM by Zantetsuken »

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #359 on: July 28, 2011, 09:13:19 PM »
The next is a silver wire Kopek from RUSSIA (NOVGOROD) dating from 1533-1547. Issued under Grand Duke: Ivan Rurik IV~The Terrible. Ivan IV held two titles during his life. He reigned as a Grand Duke from 1533-1547, then as a Tsar from 1547 until his death 1584. There are numerous coins attributed to Ivan the Terrible under both titles.

RUSSIA (NOVGOROD)~AR Kopek 1533-1547

Now this is beyond  :signcool; :signcool;.......I love it!!