Author Topic: World Premiere!  (Read 39672 times)

Offline cpm9ball

• Top Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
Re: World Premiere!
« Reply #90 on: March 03, 2010, 05:59:37 PM »
Perhaps this will help.

http://www.catholic-hierarchy.org/diocese/dbord.html

Apparently, Burdigalensis is the Latin name for the Archdiocese of Bordeaux.

I'm not sure what "punch Bow" means either. Is there any marking on the edge? I'll see if I can find something about it.

The beehive design makes me curious about the origins of the "bee" different that was used some 60 years later. For others, here, who may not be familiar with the Monnaie de Paris, the mintmark is commonly referred to as a "Different".

Thanks for taking the time. It's always interesting to learn new things.

Chris
The person who can laugh at himself always laughs last.

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #91 on: March 03, 2010, 06:34:54 PM »
Perhaps this will help.

http://www.catholic-hierarchy.org/diocese/dbord.html

Apparently, Burdigalensis is the Latin name for the Archdiocese of Bordeaux.

I'm not sure what "punch Bow" means either. Is there any marking on the edge? I'll see if I can find something about it.

The beehive design makes me curious about the origins of the "bee" different that was used some 60 years later. For others, here, who may not be familiar with the Monnaie de Paris, the mintmark is commonly referred to as a "Different".

The edge is reeded, so no stamps or anything there.  I'm glad you found info on Burdigalensis, I had no idea about that one....kept coming up with a type of fish when I did a Google search.  The "beehive" seems to have been a common theme since the late 1600's on jetons, but this one was so detailed that it just caught my eye.  My picture doesn't really do it justice, I'll work on it.

Anyway, you can get an idea as to what I'm up against when researching these things.  I accumulate faster than I seem to be able to research.  Oh well, I have all the time in the world for research, and I have to grab what I can when I can (if you know what I mean). ;)
please visit my website - http://jetoncollector.com/index.html

Offline cpm9ball

• Top Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #92 on: March 03, 2010, 06:43:35 PM »
So, we know that it was available with a plain edge and a reeded edge (like yours). Is it possible that "punch Bow" referred to another edge design where a Bow was impressed into the surrounding edge? (similar to the Presidential dollars)

Chris
The person who can laugh at himself always laughs last.

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #93 on: March 03, 2010, 08:15:48 PM »
So, we know that it was available with a plain edge and a reeded edge (like yours). Is it possible that "punch Bow" referred to another edge design where a Bow was impressed into the surrounding edge? (similar to the Presidential dollars)

Chris

That's a possibility.  I need to look and see if I can find a list of the stamps used for edge marking.  There is so little info outside of the few reference books.  There also is supposed to have been a publication that included all jetons minted for each year, kind of a catalog showing upcoming releases. Now that would be interesting to page through.  I think d'Affry had access to these when cataloging jetons, I could be mistaken though. There was a reference somewhere in Mitchiner's book about that, if I can find it again I will double-check that.

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #94 on: March 03, 2010, 10:53:37 PM »
Here's one I picked up at a coin show last weekend. This is 1 Kopek for NORTH-WEST RUSSIA & THE BALTICS dated 1916 J, minted in Hamburg. This was issued for the eastern front during World War I by the German imperial army for North-West Russia, Poland and the Baltics. While the coin itself isn't especially rare, it is difficult to find these coins in high grade with luster due to them being made of iron.

NORTH-WEST RUSSIA & THE BALTICS~1 Kopek 1916 J
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 10:20:49 AM by Zantetsuken »

Offline Billy Kingsley

• Full Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
    • My Fotki- almost 90 thousand photos!
« Reply #95 on: March 04, 2010, 10:00:53 AM »
Great new addition Daniel. Iron is tough!

I have not imaged it yet but my latest new purchase is a Brazil 1901 100 Reis, which I found at an antique shop.
Billy Kingsley Member: ANA, SPMC
http://public.fotki.com/ElCaminoBilly/
Collector of all coins, currency, whatever I like!

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #96 on: March 04, 2010, 10:23:35 AM »
Great new addition Daniel. Iron is tough!

I have not imaged it yet but my latest new purchase is a Brazil 1901 100 Reis, which I found at an antique shop.

Exactly. I have a couple other coins made of iron that are either heavily toned or rusted. That's why I was surprised to see such a beautiful specimen of this. By the way, congrats on your find. We'd like to see it soon.  :ThumbsUp;

~Daniel

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #97 on: March 06, 2010, 08:58:29 PM »
Here's one that just arrived today. This is a silver Dinar from the KINGDOM OF BOSNIA dating from 1461-1463 AD. This was issued under the reign of King: Stjepan Tomasevic Kotromanic who was the last king of Bosnia.

BOSNIA (KINGDOM)~AR Dinar 1461-1463 AD
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 05:44:32 PM by Zantetsuken »

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #98 on: March 08, 2010, 01:46:32 PM »
That's a neat one, Zantetsuken!  As I look over your hammered coins, I've noticed that none seem to have clipping. The English coins that I look at are (for the most part) difficult to find without some sort of clipping. I wonder how localized this was to England, and why it other nations didn't seem to have this issue?

Oh, and here are a few new ones-

This one is my favorite, even though it's condition isn't very good-

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #99 on: March 08, 2010, 06:54:03 PM »
Thanks 'Filthybroke'. There's a very interesting story behind the king who issued this coin. You have some real beauties of your own. I especially love the irridescent toning on the second specimen. Thanks for sharing.

~Daniel