Author Topic: World Premiere!  (Read 39705 times)

Offline BCNumismatics

• Top Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
World Premiere!
« Reply #100 on: March 08, 2010, 07:12:04 PM »
Here's one I picked up at a coin show last weekend. This is 1 Kopek for NORTH-WEST RUSSIA & THE BALTICS dated 1916 J, minted in Hamburg. This was issued for the eastern front during World War I by the German imperial army for North-West Russia, Poland and the Baltics. While the coin itself isn't especially rare, it is difficult to find these coins in high grade with luster due to them being made of iron.

NORTH-WEST RUSSIA & THE BALTICS~1 Kopek 1916 J

Daniel,
  These coins are listed in Krause under 'Germany',despite the Russian inscription & currency denomination.

These coins are commonly known as Iron Cross Coins,because of the Iron Cross on the reverse.

These actually stayed in circulation until around 1922,because of the coin shortage in Estonia,Latvia,& Lithuania.

This 1 Kopeck coin is a very nice coin.

Aidan.

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
Re: World Premiere!
« Reply #101 on: March 08, 2010, 07:19:53 PM »
Here's one I picked up at a coin show last weekend. This is 1 Kopek for NORTH-WEST RUSSIA & THE BALTICS dated 1916 J, minted in Hamburg. This was issued for the eastern front during World War I by the German imperial army for North-West Russia, Poland and the Baltics. While the coin itself isn't especially rare, it is difficult to find these coins in high grade with luster due to them being made of iron.

NORTH-WEST RUSSIA & THE BALTICS~1 Kopek 1916 J

Daniel,
  These coins are listed in Krause under 'Germany',despite the Russian inscription & currency denomination.

These coins are commonly known as Iron Cross Coins,because of the Iron Cross on the reverse.

These actually stayed in circulation until around 1922,because of the coin shortage in Estonia,Latvia,& Lithuania.

This 1 Kopeck coin is a very nice coin.

Aidan.

Thanks Aidan. I know they were issued by Germany, I just marked it North-West Russia and the Baltics because this was the area these coins were meant to be used. This coin actually looks even better in person than it does in the photo.  As usual, it's tough to capture the toning accurately (at least it is with my camera). Also, I use existing light instead of a flash which accounts for the slight yellowish tint in the background. A flash causes too much of a glare.

~Daniel
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 07:21:51 PM by Zantetsuken »

Offline BCNumismatics

• Top Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
World Premiere!
« Reply #102 on: March 08, 2010, 07:24:25 PM »
Daniel,
  I use a Canon CanoScan LiDE 25 flat-bed scanner for doing all my banknote & coin photos.

I downloaded Photostudio 6 by accident last week,as Photostudio 5.5 died on me.

I can't remember where I downloaded it from,as I use that as well as Photoscape for editing my photos.

Aidan.

Offline regandon

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +4/-0
« Reply #103 on: March 08, 2010, 07:24:44 PM »
Those are easy to find in good shape. Nice one Daniel.
regandon
ANA member #R-3128774

Knights Templer
IN . HOC . SIGNO . VINGS

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #104 on: August 27, 2010, 06:22:20 AM »

Well, looks like a few posts were lost on this threaed, so I guess we had better get to work on adding some new ones. :)

Here's my latest, a jeton commemorating the wood (charcoal) industry in 1820 France -

please visit my website - http://jetoncollector.com/index.html

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #105 on: August 27, 2010, 11:45:43 AM »

...and a couple of OLD ones, my oldest so far.  I usually stick to silver jetons, but before the early 1600's silver was seldom used and can be very difficult to find.  There seems to be a cutoff point in the early to mid 1600's where most (if not all) look to be poorly cared for, even dug or deteriorated.  I'd guess that these  jetons were circulated as currency out of necessity back then, and then later saved by collectors and cared for.

This one I need to research some more.  It's supposed to depict Mt. Opympus, with a ring of clouds and demons or spirits flying underneath.

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #106 on: August 27, 2010, 11:52:58 AM »

Oh, and here's a new toner, too.  It's amazing the variations of colors and toning that silver will produce merely by different storage methods and enviroment.

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #107 on: August 27, 2010, 11:54:03 AM »

Well, looks like a few posts were lost on this threaed, so I guess we had better get to work on adding some new ones. :)

Here's my latest, a jeton commemorating the wood (charcoal) industry in 1820 France -

Vice one and glad to see you are posting them back :1Applause;
This thread was a killer thread with all the great images :Beatingheart;

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #108 on: August 27, 2010, 12:09:42 PM »

I always enjoy seeing the latest from everyone here.  We have quite a wide variety of collecting interests, don't we?

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #109 on: September 14, 2010, 11:36:27 PM »
Here is my latest addition. This is 2 Abazi from GEORGIA (RUSSIAN VASSAL)  dated 1833 in Georgic legend. Minted in Tiflis (now Tbilisi), this was the last issue date for Georgian coins.

GEORGIA (RUSSIAN VASSAL)~2 Abazi 1833
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 11:37:57 PM by Zantetsuken »