Author Topic: World Premiere!  (Read 39615 times)

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
Re: World Premiere!
« Reply #110 on: September 14, 2010, 11:55:04 PM »
Here is my latest addition. This is 2 Abazi from GEORGIA (RUSSIAN VASSAL)  dated 1833 in Georgic legend. Minted in Tiflis (now Tbilisi), this was the last issue date for Georgian coins.

GEORGIA (RUSSIAN VASSAL)~2 Abazi 1833

Very nice :Beatingheart;

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #111 on: September 15, 2010, 12:01:30 AM »
Thanks Stef. I have more that I'll resubmit once I'm finished uploading all of my coin images.

~Daniel

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #112 on: September 15, 2010, 02:51:32 PM »
Here is my latest addition. This is 2 Abazi from GEORGIA (RUSSIAN VASSAL)  dated 1833 in Georgic legend. Minted in Tiflis (now Tbilisi), this was the last issue date for Georgian coins.

GEORGIA (RUSSIAN VASSAL)~2 Abazi 1833

That's pretty cool, I wouldn't have guessed the year as being so recent from the design and detail, looks much earlier.   BTW, can you read the legend on this one?  I bet that it would be tough to research without some background.  I have enough trouble with standard French translations for my jetons. 
please visit my website - http://jetoncollector.com/index.html

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #113 on: September 16, 2010, 12:32:55 AM »
Hi 'FilthBroke'. I'm glad you like the coin. It is pretty cool, especially the unique writing. I can't read Georgian script, (or grammar for that matter) however I was able to translate the legend. The obverse shows 'ტფილისი= TPILISI (TBILISI)' which was the mint. The reverse shows უ - ქართული  თეთრი= 400 KARTULI TETRI. The character '' equals 400 in the Georgian numeric system according to the table I read. The word 'Tetri' means white in Georgian in reference to the color of the silver that the coin was made of. Tetris were franctional currency that originated in ancient Georgia, as still now used in the new republic.This was probably the equivilent of the denomination of 2 Abazi which also equals 40 Kopeks in Russian currency. Finally, the bottom line reads 'ჩყლმ=1833'. The numeric code reads ' = 1,000',  ' = 800', ' = 30', ' = 3' or 1833 in the western dating system. I hope this was helpful, since this was the best I could do.

~Daniel
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 12:34:21 AM by Zantetsuken »

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #114 on: September 16, 2010, 01:10:54 AM »
Here is a slightly earlier issue from Georgia in the amount of 1 Bisti dated 1787. It was issued under the reign of King: Erekle II during the Russian occupation. The obverse shows a crude double-headed eagle and date. The reverse shows Erekle's name in Georgian script, and the mint name 'Tiflis' in Farsi (Persian) script.

GEORGIA (RUSSIAN OCCUPATION)~1 Bisti 1787
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 01:11:55 AM by Zantetsuken »

Offline BCNumismatics

• Top Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #115 on: September 16, 2010, 02:09:43 AM »
Daniel,
  Those are very nice Georgian coins.

There's more Georgian coin photos on http://www.coins.ge & http://www.zeno.ru .

Aidan.

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #116 on: September 16, 2010, 04:48:13 PM »
Hi 'FilthBroke'. I'm glad you like the coin. It is pretty cool, especially the unique writing. I can't read Georgian script, (or grammar for that matter) however I was able to translate the legend. The obverse shows 'ტფილისი= TPILISI (TBILISI)' which was the mint. The reverse shows უ - ქართული  თეთრი= 400 KARTULI TETRI. The character '' equals 400 in the Georgian numeric system according to the table I read. The word 'Tetri' means white in Georgian in reference to the color of the silver that the coin was made of. Tetris were franctional currency that originated in ancient Georgia, as still now used in the new republic.This was probably the equivilent of the denomination of 2 Abazi which also equals 40 Kopeks in Russian currency. Finally, the bottom line reads 'ჩყლმ=1833'. The numeric code reads ' = 1,000',  ' = 800', ' = 30', ' = 3' or 1833 in the western dating system. I hope this was helpful, since this was the best I could do.

~Daniel

That is very cool!   I know who to call when I get stuck with a translation now.   ;D
please visit my website - http://jetoncollector.com/index.html

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #117 on: September 16, 2010, 05:08:11 PM »

~Daniel

That is very cool!   I know who to call when I get stuck with a translation now.   ;D

No problem 'Filthybroke'. All I did was Google 'Georgian alphabet and Georgian-English translation' Then type the legend in as it appeared on the coin. Then voila!, a full translation.  I also copied and pasted the Georgian legend to the post here to show how the text looks. Internet is a great tool, huh? Unfortunately, not all sites support text other than Roman. Fortunately, this one does so I can get more creative when needed.

~Daniel
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 05:09:06 PM by Zantetsuken »

Offline BCNumismatics

• Top Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #118 on: September 16, 2010, 05:38:28 PM »
You can find some more information about Georgia's current currency here; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgian_lari .

I don't know where the word 'Lari' comes from in Georgian,as the currency of the short-lived Democratic Republic of Georgia was the Georgian Rouble,which wasn't subdivided into anything.

Aidan.

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #119 on: September 16, 2010, 09:13:43 PM »
You can find some more information about Georgia's current currency here; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgian_lari .

I don't know where the word 'Lari' comes from in Georgian,as the currency of the short-lived Democratic Republic of Georgia was the Georgian Rouble,which wasn't subdivided into anything.

Aidan.

Good question about the Lari, Aidan. It could be the name of money used by the Mongolian hords, or the Persians. Since Georgia has been under the control of numerous different foreign powers (including the ones mentioned above), the Lari could have been influenced by of them. I'll have to check it out.

~Daniel