Author Topic: World Premiere!  (Read 39678 times)

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
Re: World Premiere!
« Reply #120 on: September 16, 2010, 09:52:39 PM »
You can find some more information about Georgia's current currency here; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgian_lari .

I don't know where the word 'Lari' comes from in Georgian,as the currency of the short-lived Democratic Republic of Georgia was the Georgian Rouble,which wasn't subdivided into anything.

Aidan.

Good question about the Lari, Aidan. It could be the name of money used by the Mongolian hords, or the Persians. Since Georgia has been under the control of numerous different foreign powers (including the ones mentioned above), the Lari could have been influenced by of them. I'll have to check it out.

~Daniel

UPDATE: I checked out the word 'Lari' on Wikipedia, and it is said to be an old Georgian word. It doesn't give much detail about the word though.

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #121 on: September 18, 2010, 10:29:55 AM »
This next specimen is a copper Folar from ULCINJ dating from 1355-1371 AD. Issued under the reign of Tsar: Stefan Uros V of the Serbian Empire. The obverse portrays Stefan enthroned with his name in Roman legend 'VROSIV(S)'. The reverse shows the Virgin Mary with legend along the rim. Ulcinj is now a port town in Montenegro.

ULCINJ (MUNICIPAL)~AE Folar 1355-1371 AD
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 10:36:03 AM by Zantetsuken »

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #122 on: September 21, 2010, 06:23:15 PM »
 :ThumbsUp;

Glad to see someone is still buying, I've been on a mandatory purchasing break for about a month. (and it's killin' me!)  I even skipped our local show last weekend, the Mrs. said we should go and look, but I told her I wasn't a windowshopper. ;D
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 06:24:36 PM by FilthyBroke »
please visit my website - http://jetoncollector.com/index.html

Offline BCNumismatics

• Top Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
World Premiere!
« Reply #123 on: September 21, 2010, 06:54:57 PM »

Glad to see someone is still buying, I've been on a mandatory purchasing break for about a month. (and it's killin' me!)  I even skipped our local show last weekend, the Mrs. said we should go and look, but I told her I wasn't a windowshopper. ;D

FilthyBroke,
  I have done very little buying over the past month or so.

I have got 2 banknotes that are supposed to be arriving from an auction house later on this week.

I have got some more postal orders coming in from England,which my boss will be picking up when he is in London next weekend.

I can't wait to get photos of them up.

Aidan.

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #124 on: September 21, 2010, 10:33:58 PM »

Join the club. I haven't been buying as much the last couple of months. I have the township tax coming up which is going drain me pretty good. Plus, I also had a plumbing job done that drained me even more. It sucks when something you enjoy gets derailed because of emergencies and taxes. Such is life I guess.

I agree with you about the window shopping part. If I go window shopping now, I'd probably lose my will-power and start going on a shopping spree.  ;D
~Daniel
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 10:36:10 PM by Zantetsuken »

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #125 on: September 21, 2010, 10:40:05 PM »
Join the club. I haven't been buying as much the last couple of months. I have the township tax coming up which is going drain me pretty good. Plus, I also had a plumbing job done that drained me even more. It sucks when something you enjoy gets derailed because of emergencies and taxes. Such is life I guess.

I agree with you about the window shopping part. If I go window shopping now, I'd probably lose my will-power and start going on a shopping spree.  ;D
~Daniel

Bummer.  We're trying to handle two mortgages right now. :(  That can be a rough ride. 
please visit my website - http://jetoncollector.com/index.html

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #126 on: September 21, 2010, 10:58:59 PM »

~Daniel

Bummer.  We're trying to handle two mortgages right now. :(  That can be a rough ride.

Ouch! That's got to sting. Our mortgage was paid off years ago. Good thing. I've already got enough expenses as is with the home among other things. Hope things pan out for you.

~Daniel

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #127 on: September 23, 2010, 07:54:21 PM »

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #128 on: September 23, 2010, 10:31:59 PM »
Nice specimen Stef. Where'd you pick this up?

~Daniel

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #129 on: September 23, 2010, 10:42:52 PM »
Nice specimen Stef. Where'd you pick this up?

~Daniel

At a local coinshop. It almost looks like an impaired proof.
What do you think?