Author Topic: World Premiere!  (Read 39632 times)

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
Re: World Premiere!
« Reply #130 on: September 24, 2010, 02:14:51 AM »
Nice specimen Stef. Where'd you pick this up?

~Daniel

At a local coinshop. It almost looks like an impaired proof.
What do you think?

I'm not sure. I don't know if they had proofs for this date. I'll look under Krause and see what I can find.

~Daniel

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #131 on: September 24, 2010, 08:31:45 AM »
UPDATE: I looked up the 20 Centime coin you posted Stefanie,and there indeed exists proof specimens of this. It lists $575 in Krause's 2008 catalog. How accurate this is, is another question since Krause's prices can be off base with the actual market (especially the Russian coins). Also, as you said, if yours indeed a proof, it might be worth less due to the condition. I hope this helps.

~Daniel

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #132 on: October 07, 2010, 06:50:33 PM »
Here's one that arrived today in the mail. This is a Polushka (1/4 Kopek) from SIBERIA dated 1774. Although slightly off-center, this is in much better condition than is usually found for this denomination. This is also the rarest denomination of the six. Many fakes and copies exist for this.

SIBERIA (REGIONAL)~Polushka 1774
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 07:52:19 AM by Zantetsuken »

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #133 on: October 07, 2010, 06:55:35 PM »
Here's one that arrived today in the mail. This is a Polushka (1/4 Kopek) from SIBERIA dated 1774. Although slightly off-center, this is in much better condition than is usually found for this denomination. This is also the rarest denomination of the six. Many fakes and copies exist for this.

SIBERIA (REGIONAL)~Polushka 1774

Congratulations on a stunning new piece, veery nice :Beatingheart;

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #134 on: October 17, 2010, 10:44:26 PM »
Here's a curious new piece that arrived over the weekend. This is 20 Para from MONTENEGRO dated 2002. I haven't  found any info on this coin thus far, but it has an identical pattern used for the 20 Para coins struck for the Principality of Montenegro in 1906 and 1908. Whether these were modern fantasies, proposal patterns, or just a spurious specimen,  is also unknown at this time, however, they were not official coins. Montenegro was still part of Yugoslavia in 2002 (the last year the country went by this name), but was having serious friction with Serbia and the government in Belgrade due to the embargo and economic hardships that resulted. Because of this, the call for Montenegro's independence grew stronger. By 2006, Montenegro gained full independence following a referendum in the republic. To this day, Montenegro uses the Euro as opposed to using an independent currency. The obverse shows the national arms. The reverse shows the denomination,date and the national name  in Cyrillic legend: 'КЊАЖЕВИНА ЦРНА ГОРА/PRINCIPALITY OF MONTENEGRO'.

MONTENEGRO~20 Para 2002
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 07:56:08 PM by Zantetsuken »

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #135 on: October 18, 2010, 11:55:40 AM »

I love the fact that Daniel adds some historical information with his posts.  I think I will follow his lead and try to do more research on each of mine before I post them.  History and background really is a large part of collecting coins. 

please visit my website - http://jetoncollector.com/index.html

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #136 on: October 18, 2010, 12:58:16 PM »

I love the fact that Daniel adds some historical information with his posts.  I think I will follow his lead and try to do more research on each of mine before I post them.  History and background really is a large part of collecting coins.
:smiley-bounce016:

My thoughts exactly !

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #137 on: October 18, 2010, 08:53:13 PM »
Thanks Stef and 'FilthyBroke', I'm glad you like my posts. The union between the Serbia and Montenegro seemed pointless by then because from what I read, they basically ran as separate countries anyways. Serbia used the Dinar (under the name Yugoslavia up till 2002, then Serbia from 2003 onward), while Montenegro used the Euro. They eventually developed separate military units, separate diplomatic channels, etc. Even the countries name was changed from the 'Federal Republic of Yugoslavia', to the 'State Union of Serbia and Montenegro' in 2003. Irony doesn't get any thicker than that.

On another note, I'm posting both the 1906 issue for the Principality of Montenegro, and the 2002 issue together.  I'm listing both for comparison sake. Notice that with the exception of the dates, the patterns are almost identical.

MONTENEGRO (PRINCIPALITY)~20 Para 1906

MONTENEGRO~20 Para  2002
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 08:54:30 PM by Zantetsuken »

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #138 on: October 25, 2010, 04:07:36 PM »
Ok, so I'm weak! ;D  I haven't picked up anything notable in a while now, but had to break down and give in to the pull. 

This is an 1801 (or there about)  jeton for the wood industry in France.  I think it goes well with the other wood industry jeton I picked up a while back.  Can't find the details on it right now, as my info list is getting so long that it hard to make heads or tails of it.  I need a better system! :D

please visit my website - http://jetoncollector.com/index.html

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #139 on: October 25, 2010, 04:15:57 PM »
Ok, so I'm weak! ;D  I haven't picked up anything notable in a while now, but had to break down and give in to the pull. 

This is an 1801 (or there about)  jeton for the wood industry in France.  I think it goes well with the other wood industry jeton I picked up a while back.  Can't find the details on it right now, as my info list is getting so long that it hard to make heads or tails of it.  I need a better system! :D

That is one sweet Jeton, love the tree and when you find more info on it I would love to hear about it :Beatingheart;