Author Topic: World Premiere!  (Read 39620 times)

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
Re: World Premiere!
« Reply #140 on: October 25, 2010, 04:58:17 PM »
Ok, so I'm weak! ;D  I haven't picked up anything notable in a while now, but had to break down and give in to the pull. 

This is an 1801 (or there about)  jeton for the wood industry in France.  I think it goes well with the other wood industry jeton I picked up a while back.  Can't find the details on it right now, as my info list is getting so long that it hard to make heads or tails of it.  I need a better system! :D

Your breakdown is completely understandable  ;D. That's a beautiful jeton you posted. I'm glad your getting back in the saddle again with your collection, and I hope you'll be posting more in the near future. Best of luck.

~Daniel
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 04:59:16 PM by Zantetsuken »

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #141 on: October 25, 2010, 06:02:35 PM »
Apparently I didn't save the seller's info on this one, so I did a little search and came up with this info -

The Ile Louviers was an island on the River Siene in Paris, often used through the 17-1800's by French logging companies.  The island was proned to flooding, and doesn't exist anymore.  COMMERCE DE BOIS NEUF translates to NEW TIMBER TRADE. 

It's not a rare jeton (as far as the jeton standards go), but an interesting design that I haven't come across before.  In fact, I don't yet fully understand their rarity scale as of yet.  As far as I can decipher it though, a mintage of 5-10,000 would be a common issue.  I'm not so concerned at this point in my collection with mintages, but rather the beauty of the engravings. 

ADDED --  I had the date wrong on this one, the AN 12 places it at 1803-04 according to the Republican (Napoleonic) calendar.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 09:42:22 PM by FilthyBroke »
please visit my website - http://jetoncollector.com/index.html

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #142 on: October 25, 2010, 09:48:51 PM »
That's cool, thanks for the info on that one!

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #143 on: November 11, 2010, 09:21:36 AM »
Here are a couple more from collection. One, I picked up this weekend, the other I've had for years and just posted. The first is 10 Won from NORTH KOREA dated 2001 depicting the image Ri Sun Sin. Checking  different web sites, there seems to be some discrepencies on the coin. According to what I've found out , his name was Yi Sun Sin instead of Ri Sun Sin, and he was an Admiral since he was in the navy, not a General. In any case Sin , who was born in Seoul (now capital of South Korea) in 1545, became a skilled officer in the Korean navy and won several battles earning him great respect from his people. Between 1592 and 1598, Sin had been victorious against numerous invasion attempts by Japan, until he suffered a fatal injury in 1598. To this day, Sin is still one of the most respected men by Korean nationals on both sides of the 38th parallel.

NORTH KOREA~10 Won 2001

This second piece, is one that I've had for over 15 years. This is 1 Solidus from RIGA dated 1593. A major trading route, and now the capital of Latvia, Riga had under control of numerous world powers, Poland, Sweden, Russia etc through it's long history. The specimen listed here was issued under King: Sigismund Vasa III, who reigned over Poland (King) and Lithuania (Grand Duke) from 1587-1632. Sigusmund also reigned as king of Sweden from 1592 to 1599. The obverse has Riga's municipal arms with the denomination,and  city name in Latin along with the partial date. The reverse has Sigismund's seal with his name and title in Latin.

RIGA (MUNICIPAL)~1 Solidus 1593
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 09:22:33 AM by Zantetsuken »

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #144 on: November 11, 2010, 09:37:20 AM »

Interesting that they would have possible descrepancies on the coin.  I wonder how that happened?  Daniel, do you know where this issue was minted?

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #145 on: November 11, 2010, 10:45:42 AM »

Interesting that they would have possible descrepancies on the coin.  I wonder how that happened?  Daniel, do you know where this issue was minted?

Hey 'FilthyBroke'. To be quite honest I'm not sure. It's just the differences I've notice when Googling the name. When I type in Ri Sun Sin, it comes upe 'Yi', rather than 'Ri'. It could be that because the Koreans have a different writing from the Roman alphabet, there might have complications with choosing the right character when putting the name in English. Also, unless the Koreans address their naval officers as Generals instead of Admirals, this is also a discrepency. Regardless, it's a nice coin and is very difficult to find, especially in the United States. As for where the coin was minted, that too I'm at a loss. I don't know if there's a mint in Pyongyang or not, or if they might have been minted in China which is North Korea's only chief ally diplomatically and economically. I'll see if  I can find anything further.

~Daniel
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 10:47:11 AM by Zantetsuken »

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #146 on: November 11, 2010, 12:49:56 PM »
I don't remember exactly where I heard it, but I did hear that smaller countries would outsource their coining.  That was the first thing I thought of when I heard of the descrepancies, possibly from translation or something like that.   Still, cool coin and thought-provoking info. 

Being closer to my personal era of collecting, the 1593 solidus looks cool, too.  A lot of copper that I've seen from pre-1600 is corroded or barely recognizable, so I can appreciate how well preserved this one is.  Keep 'em coming! :ThumbsUp;

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #147 on: November 11, 2010, 05:21:29 PM »
I don't remember exactly where I heard it, but I did hear that smaller countries would outsource their coining.  That was the first thing I thought of when I heard of the descrepancies, possibly from translation or something like that.   Still, cool coin and thought-provoking info. 

Being closer to my personal era of collecting, the 1593 solidus looks cool, too.  A lot of copper that I've seen from pre-1600 is corroded or barely recognizable, so I can appreciate how well preserved this one is.  Keep 'em coming! :ThumbsUp;

I'm glad you like them. Getting an outside source would seem logical, and maybe North Korea did just that. It's just that they are so reclusive, that I thought they might have struck their own. I couldn't find any info on it. As for the Solidus coin, I think it's either silver or billon. I pretty sure it's not copper, although the heavy toning would trick the eye into thinking it is. I'm aching to get more coins and notes, but my wallet got hit with two maintainance bills, so cash is tight for the moment. Still as soon as I get anything, I'll post it be assured.

~Daniel

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #148 on: November 11, 2010, 07:16:49 PM »
As for the Solidus coin, I think it's either silver or billon. I pretty sure it's not copper...

Oops! My bad.  It has that copper look to it from the picture. 

<<I'm aching to get more coins and notes, but my wallet got hit with two maintainance bills, so cash is tight for the moment. Still as soon as I get anything, I'll post it be assured.

Cool.  I'm also struggling to keep active collecting right now, still haven't closed on our home sale yet.  We'll get it straightened out soon, I hope.  Luckily, I haven't really found much numismatically that I want lately, mostly because I stay away from the sites that have tempted me in the past.  That can be a difficult task, I'm sure you all know what I mean. :)

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #149 on: November 22, 2010, 12:19:38 PM »
Israel 5 Pruta