Author Topic: World Premiere!  (Read 39704 times)

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
Re: World Premiere!
« Reply #170 on: December 13, 2010, 11:09:08 PM »
Here's one that just arrived in the mail. This is a silver Short-Cross Penny from ENGLAND dating from 1016-1035 AD. Anglo-Saxon coinage issued under the reign of Viking King: Cnut~The Great.  Born in Denmark, Cnut (also called Canute) would come to reign over Denmark, Norway, England, and southern Sweden. Considered one of the greatest leaders in medieval Europe due to his political and military skills.

ENGLAND~AR Short-Cross Penny 1016-1035 AD

Daniel,
   That is one very nice coin that you have got there.

I have found the English coins from reigns prior to King Edward I to be pretty elusive so far.

Aidan.

Thanks Aidan. I don't know about elusive (in my area at least), but they are very pricey. Fate threw me a bone, and I got a great deal on this. Aethelred II and Cnut pieces usually go for $500 USD +.  Since I'm of English descent, this coin holds special value to me.

~Daniel
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 11:10:13 PM by Zantetsuken »

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #171 on: December 14, 2010, 01:43:39 PM »
Yeah, those anglo-saxon pennies aren't cheap!  I hope to pick up a "Cunetti" viking penny one day, but that's probably one of those that will stay on the want list for a while yet.

I do have some neat jetons on the way, though.  We FINALLY closed the sale of our house and can move on to newer and better things.  Plus, I get to start rebuilding (and further focusing) the collection. :)
please visit my website - http://jetoncollector.com/index.html

Offline BCNumismatics

• Top Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
World Premiere!
« Reply #172 on: December 15, 2010, 04:38:59 AM »
Daniel,
  You're not wrong about Anglo-Saxon coins being expensive.King Canute was from the short-lived Anglo-Danish dynasty (1016-42).

I have never spent more than NZ$200 for one numismatic item.I can't buy expensive numismatic items nowadays,as I am busy trying to manage in these very tough times.

Being of Scots descent,I do collect Scots coins,but they have always been difficult to find.

Fortunately,there are some cheap hammered English coins - especially King Edward I's silver 1 Penny coins.King Edward I took on the Scots & lost.

Aidan.

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #173 on: December 15, 2010, 07:19:41 AM »
Daniel,
  You're not wrong about Anglo-Saxon coins being expensive.King Canute was from the short-lived Anglo-Danish dynasty (1016-42).

I have never spent more than NZ$200 for one numismatic item.I can't buy expensive numismatic items nowadays,as I am busy trying to manage in these very tough times.

Being of Scots descent,I do collect Scots coins,but they have always been difficult to find.

Fortunately,there are some cheap hammered English coins - especially King Edward I's silver 1 Penny coins.King Edward I took on the Scots & lost.

Aidan.

Ah, now the early Scottish coins seem a bit more difficult to find. I do have a coin from David II with a damaged flan, but nothing else. Interesting coins none the less.

~Daniel
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 06:18:32 PM by Zantetsuken »

Offline Billy Kingsley

• Full Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
    • My Fotki- almost 90 thousand photos!
« Reply #174 on: December 16, 2010, 01:32:07 PM »
Here's my latest...rare for me of late to add something. This was an early Christmas present from my Mom.

Malta 1998 1 cent, featuring the common weasel.  :signcool;
Billy Kingsley Member: ANA, SPMC
http://public.fotki.com/ElCaminoBilly/
Collector of all coins, currency, whatever I like!

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #175 on: December 16, 2010, 05:56:13 PM »
Here's my latest...rare for me of late to add something. This was an early Christmas present from my Mom.

Malta 1998 1 cent, featuring the common weasel.  :signcool;

Nice gift you received. Thanks for sharing it with us. Happy holidays.

~Daniel

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #176 on: December 19, 2010, 01:20:31 PM »
Here's one I received in the mail yesterday. This is 1 Ruble from the RUSSIAN EMPIRE dated 1762. Issued under the reign of Tsaritsa: Ekaterina Romanov II~The Great. Minted in Saint Petersburg.

RUSSIAN EMPIRE~1 Ruble 1762
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 07:45:40 AM by Zantetsuken »

Offline BCNumismatics

• Top Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
World Premiere!
« Reply #177 on: December 19, 2010, 07:26:15 PM »
Daniel,
  That's a very nice pick-up that you have got there.

It isn't common for a monarch to put out their first coins in the same year that they acceded to the throne.

Check out these 2 coins;

East Africa 1956 10 Cents - a type coin.

Singapore 2008SM 1 Dollar - Year of the Rat - unlisted in Krause's 'Unusual World Coins'.

Please let me know what you think.

Aidan.

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #178 on: December 19, 2010, 07:40:12 PM »
Daniel,
  That's a very nice pick-up that you have got there.

It isn't common for a monarch to put out their first coins in the same year that they acceded to the throne.

Check out these 2 coins;

East Africa 1956 10 Cents - a type coin.

Singapore 2008SM 1 Dollar - Year of the Rat - unlisted in Krause's 'Unusual World Coins'.

Please let me know what you think.

Aidan.

Thanks Aidan. You have a couple nice specimens too. Coins with the Chinese zodiac are cool.  The toning for the East African coin is very attractive. Thanks for sharing.

~Daniel

Offline BCNumismatics

• Top Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
World Premiere!
« Reply #179 on: December 20, 2010, 04:23:07 PM »
Daniel,
  I have a lot of numismatic items that I would have liked to have uploaded photos of onto http://www.zeno.ru .

One of these days,I will get myself familiarised with reconfiguring the program up on http://www.worldnumismaticphotogallery.net ,then adding in extra sections.

Aidan.