Author Topic: World Premiere!  (Read 39637 times)

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
Re: World Premiere!
« Reply #200 on: January 09, 2011, 12:07:30 AM »
Nice one  :ThumbsUp;

Thanks 'regandon'. With this one, I finally have every denomination for this area. On the other hand, I have yet to find the different variations for the denominations. The quest continues, but at least one hurdle is cleared.

~Daniel

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #201 on: January 10, 2011, 11:05:54 AM »

Here's a new one, a 1723 jeton with a younger portrait of Louis XV and the old money press which has been a popular theme with coin collectors.  I found this one at a really nice price on VCoins a few weeks ago, and you all know that I can't pass up a deal. ;D

1723 La Monnoye de France (Paris)
please visit my website - http://jetoncollector.com/index.html

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #202 on: January 12, 2011, 12:02:28 AM »

Here's a new one, a 1723 jeton with a younger portrait of Louis XV and the old money press which has been a popular theme with coin collectors.  I found this one at a really nice price on VCoins a few weeks ago, and you all know that I can't pass up a deal. ;D

1723 La Monnoye de France (Paris)

Another nice specimen 'FilthyBroke'. But then again, I would expect nothing less from you. Thanks for sharing.

~Daniel

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #203 on: January 19, 2011, 06:33:36 AM »
Thanks Daniel!

As a side note to anyone thinking of ordering coins from overseas -  I have two packages out that have been in postal limbo since about the 15th of December. I have tracking info on one (floating around the NY/NJ area for two weeks now), and the other isn't even showing in the system yet. :(  I ordered a total of four from that time period, only two have made it to my door so far. 

Props to the post office who won't allow me to get any information on either package, and won't admit an issue with a priority package that's weeks late. :1cussing;

I'll post pics of them when/if they arrive.   

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #204 on: January 19, 2011, 09:28:32 AM »
Thanks Daniel!

As a side note to anyone thinking of ordering coins from overseas -  I have two packages out that have been in postal limbo since about the 15th of December. I have tracking info on one (floating around the NY/NJ area for two weeks now), and the other isn't even showing in the system yet. :(  I ordered a total of four from that time period, only two have made it to my door so far. 

Props to the post office who won't allow me to get any information on either package, and won't admit an issue with a priority package that's weeks late. :1cussing;

I'll post pics of them when/if they arrive.

Hey 'FilthyBroke'. I understand your frustration. If it's registered mail, that seems to take the longest to arrive, but it also depends on where the item is shipping from.  For example, registered letters usually only take 2 weeks, where as , items from Russia, China and  remote areas could take over a month. I had package come from Uzbekistan, and it took about a month and a half to arrive. Since you have tracking info, that's a big help incase you should need to claim something. Good luck.

~Daniel

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #205 on: January 19, 2011, 09:41:37 AM »
I almost forgot.  Here's another item that arrived in the last week. This is a Falus (Puli) from the KHANATE OF KHIVA dated 1327 AH/1909 AD. During the final years of being a Russian vassal, this was issued under Khan: Muhammad Rahim Bahadur (1864-1910).

KHIVA (KHANATE)~Falus 1327 AH/1909 AD

~Daniel
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 05:55:04 PM by Zantetsuken »

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #206 on: January 19, 2011, 01:58:12 PM »
Hey, that's pretty cool!  It also reminds me of the Judaean pieces with that shape.  I wonder if these were these struck on a similar planchet style to the Judaean prutahs, having the occasional tab on the side?  Maybe not, but that's the first thing I thought of. 

Oh, and one of my orders came in today (after 34 days).  This one is a 1648 jeton for the King's council.  I really like the obverse scene on this one -

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #207 on: January 19, 2011, 05:25:14 PM »
Hey, that's pretty cool!  It also reminds me of the Judaean pieces with that shape.  I wonder if these were these struck on a similar planchet style to the Judaean prutahs, having the occasional tab on the side?  Maybe not, but that's the first thing I thought of. 

Oh, and one of my orders came in today (after 34 days).  This one is a 1648 jeton for the King's council.  I really like the obverse scene on this one -

Gotta love it. I'm especially partial to the design on the obverse with the coastal sunrise. I'm glad your patience has payed off. Thanks for sharing. Thanks also for your comment on my Khivan piece. I think alot of coins from Central Asia  look like this due to the crude striking and minting methods. This one is a slightly higher than average grade. Usually most of the design is extremely weak to non-existant. At least you can make most of the pattern on each side.

~Daniel
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 05:29:03 PM by Zantetsuken »

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
Re:World Premiere!
« Reply #208 on: January 19, 2011, 07:18:01 PM »
Here's one that arrived today. This is 1 Lepton from the IONIAN ISLANDS dated 1862. This is a key date since it was the last issue before the British handed the region over to the Greek government.

IONIAN ISLANDS~1 Lepton 1862

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #209 on: January 20, 2011, 06:22:20 AM »
I've always loved the Britannia design, this coin design especially because of the lion obverse. 

[q]I think alot of coins from Central Asia  look like this due to the crude striking and minting methods.[/q]

The very first coins I think of when thinking of weak/poor striking methods are the English hammered coins from Henry I and II and Stephen reign.  Wow! It's hard to imagine how things revert to such a poor state after the earlier strikes of Cnut and Aethelred, and even the Roman and Greek coins with such strong strikes.  It gets you to thinking about how hard things got for people during these times.