Author Topic: World Premiere!  (Read 39645 times)

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
Re: World Premiere!
« Reply #210 on: January 20, 2011, 06:44:33 AM »
I've always loved the Britannia design, this coin design especially because of the lion obverse. 

[q]I think alot of coins from Central Asia  look like this due to the crude striking and minting methods.[/q]

The very first coins I think of when thinking of weak/poor striking methods are the English hammered coins from Henry I and II and Stephen reign.  Wow! It's hard to imagine how things revert to such a poor state after the earlier strikes of Cnut and Aethelred, and even the Roman and Greek coins with such strong strikes.  It gets you to thinking about how hard things got for people during these times.

You're right the winged lion is pretty cool. I also love the toning on this as well. What you said about coins from Central Asia is also true. The specimen I posted from Khiva is only a little over a century old.  Retrospectively, it's not that old, but it looks to be 500+ years old just because of the crude minting methods. I can't begin to imagine how hard it must have been for the people who actually had to strike the coins.

~Daniel

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #211 on: January 21, 2011, 12:20:46 AM »
Here's my latest addition. This is 1 Krizar from the TRIUNE KINGDOM OF CROATIA, SLAVONIA & DALMATIA (mouth-full isn't it?) dated 1849. This is a copy of the original 1 Krizar coin mined in 1849 under the order of Ban: Josip Jelačić of Croatia. However, the central government in Vienna ordered the minting to be ceased, all coins were melted down. Only a few of the originals survived, and exist only in museums and large collections.

height=500]http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww65/samuraisedge/Croatia1Krajczar1849ZCopy.jpg[/img]

CROATIA, SLAVONIA & DALMATIA (TRIUNE KINGDOM)~1 Krizar 1849 *COPY*
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 05:31:06 PM by Zantetsuken »

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #212 on: January 21, 2011, 06:35:55 AM »

I see from another site that this is a great modern rarity in Croatian coins.  Do you know  when this one was minted and what metal was used versus the original?
please visit my website - http://jetoncollector.com/index.html

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #213 on: January 21, 2011, 08:49:23 AM »

I see from another site that this is a great modern rarity in Croatian coins.  Do you know  when this one was minted and what metal was used versus the original?

Thanks 'FilthyBroke'. I really don't know when or where these were minted, or what metal these were struck with. In fact when I look under Krause, they only make mention of this, and one other denomination (20 Krizar, silver), but there was no visual details for either. This must be a very illusive one. I rarely if ever buy copies or facsimiles, but I found this specimen interesting. Until I saw this on Ebay, I thought 1934 was the earliest modern Croatian coins minted, even though they were fantasy or propaganda pieces. I'll try to do more digging when I get a chance.

~Daniel
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 08:53:28 AM by Zantetsuken »

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #214 on: January 21, 2011, 01:30:28 PM »
Thanks, Daniel.  I'll see if I can find something else on it, too.

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #215 on: January 21, 2011, 01:45:11 PM »
And today was my lucky day!!! ;D

My big order arrived from mid-December.  This is the one I was mainly concerned about, as it included many rare pieces that are certainly not going to come around again soon.  It's like Christmas has finally arrived. :)

Architecture - the roads/bridges companies

Beautiful cityscape - Chartres

You all know I love ships, right? ;)  Marseille Assurances

Auguste Robert de Pomereu

Industrial Society of Amiens -

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #216 on: January 21, 2011, 06:03:49 PM »
Wow! That's quite a haul. You really outdid yourself with this one. I love the designs on all of these. Thanks for sharing.

~Daniel

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #217 on: January 21, 2011, 07:11:16 PM »
Wow! That's quite a haul. You really outdid yourself with this one. I love the designs on all of these. Thanks for sharing.

~Daniel

Thanks!  The top four pictured were some that I was watching for nearly a year, just waiting for an opportunity to make a major purchase.  They are pretty rare compared with a lot of other issues, and the condition and overall "look" fits my set so far.  Oh, and the last one pictured just had a cool look to it. ;)

Offline BCNumismatics

• Top Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
World Premiere!
« Reply #218 on: January 23, 2011, 09:10:52 PM »
Here's one that arrived today. This is 1 Lepton from the IONIAN ISLANDS dated 1862. This is a key date since it was the last issue before the British handed the region over to the Greek government.

IONIAN ISLANDS~1 Lepton 1862

Daniel,
  That is one very nice coin that you've got there.The only Ionian Islands coin that I have dated 1862 in my collection is a holed example of the 30 Lepta.

The Ionian Islands colonial coin series is one that has proved to be a challenging one for me.

Aidan.

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #219 on: February 04, 2011, 07:08:43 AM »
Here's one that  arrived in the mail yesterday. This is a  silver Gigliato from RHODES dating 1365-1374 AD. Issued under Grandmaster: Raymond Beringer~ Order of the Knights of St. John.

RHODES~AR Gigliato 1365-1374 AD
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 07:42:32 AM by Zantetsuken »