Author Topic: World Premiere!  (Read 39669 times)

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
Re: World Premiere!
« Reply #220 on: February 04, 2011, 11:33:38 AM »
We both got some medieval silver in this week, Daniel.  I like your new one, I've never heard of a "gigliato" before. 

Henry III ,  Brussels Hoard -

Story on the Brussels Hoard -

Discovered in  Brussels, Belgium in 1908 this huge hoard consisted of around 145,000 silver pennies from England, Scotland, Ireland and the Continent. It would appear to have been buried around c.1265 and given it's vast size an explanation has been sought to understand why such a huge amount of money was assembled,  concealed and subsequently not recovered.
One theory surrounds Richard of Cornwall (1209-1272), the younger brother of Henry III who became Holy Roman Emperor in 1257.
The main supporters of his election to the imperial throne were the  Electoral Princes (known as the "English party") of Cologne, Mainz and the Palatinate. Richard bought the elector's votes for the vast sum of 28,000 marks (equivalent to 4,480,000 pennies at 160 pennies to the mark).
Whilst a large part of this sum may have been rendered in silver bullion, much of it would have been paid in coin and it does provide a reason for a huge parcel of coins on the continent, perhaps en route to Richard's allies in the Rhineland.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 11:36:26 AM by FilthyBroke »
please visit my website - http://jetoncollector.com/index.html

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #221 on: February 04, 2011, 05:55:43 PM »
Thanks 'FilthyBroke', that's a sweet looking English penny you picked up. One of the best strikes I've seen for these. As for the Gigliato, I've never heard of a denomination like this one before either. It sounds like an Italian dessert. ;D All kidding aside, some of the Crusader coins are very interesting, and the ones from Rhodes are among the most unique as far as design.

~Daniel

Offline BCNumismatics

• Top Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
World premiere!
« Reply #222 on: February 06, 2011, 02:23:51 AM »
We both got some medieval silver in this week, Daniel.  I like your new one, I've never heard of a "gigliato" before. 

Henry III ,  Brussels Hoard -

Story on the Brussels Hoard -

Discovered in  Brussels, Belgium in 1908 this huge hoard consisted of around 145,000 silver pennies from England, Scotland, Ireland and the Continent. It would appear to have been buried around c.1265 and given it's vast size an explanation has been sought to understand why such a huge amount of money was assembled,  concealed and subsequently not recovered.
One theory surrounds Richard of Cornwall (1209-1272), the younger brother of Henry III who became Holy Roman Emperor in 1257.
The main supporters of his election to the imperial throne were the  Electoral Princes (known as the "English party") of Cologne, Mainz and the Palatinate. Richard bought the elector's votes for the vast sum of 28,000 marks (equivalent to 4,480,000 pennies at 160 pennies to the mark).
Whilst a large part of this sum may have been rendered in silver bullion, much of it would have been paid in coin and it does provide a reason for a huge parcel of coins on the continent, perhaps en route to Richard's allies in the Rhineland.

That's another amazing coin you've got there.

Aidan.

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #223 on: February 11, 2011, 04:33:44 PM »

I've had these two for a month or two, but thought I'd post them as I just added them to my gallery.

First, the story behind these Llanddona Hoard coins (story from the York Coins site)--

The Llanddona Hoard was discovered with the aid of metal detectors on Llanddona Beach, Red Wharf Bay between September 1999 and August 2006. Almost 1000 silver coins were recovered, English pennies of Edward I-II from various mints, Irish pennies of Edward I, Scottish Sterlings of Alexander III and John Baliol and various Continental Esterlins from the Low Countries. The coins were reported to the National Museum of Wales in Cardiff and declared Treasure under the Treasure Act of 1996. The Isle of Anglesey Museum acquired several hundred coins from the hoard, the balance of 649 coins being returned to the finders who released the hoard onto the market. 
Found within a 50 meter area of the beach, there is no doubt in the opinion of Edward Besly, Assistant Keeper of Numismatics at the National Museum of Wales, that the coins are from a single hoard. There is evidence from the concretion on one coin, which preserved evidence of a fine plain weave textile, that the coins were most probably contained within a cloth container. It is therefore likely in the opinion of Mr. Besly that the hoard was perhaps lost accidently from a beached vessel in the bay or by a person crossing the sands. The last theory is very likely given that the 3.5 mile walk across the sands has long been used as short cut. In this context it is easy to imagine someone being caught out by the tide and either losing their purse or possibly their life as well. Local tradition makes frequent reference to shipwrecks and this is another possibly, however the very localized deposition of the hoard would suggest otherwise. From the latest coin in the hoard it would appear to have been lost around the year 1330.

Edward I penny, Llanddona Hoard -

Edward II penny, Llanddona Hoard -
please visit my website - http://jetoncollector.com/index.html

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #224 on: February 25, 2011, 08:46:35 PM »
Here's one that arrived today. This is a silver wire Kopek from RUSSIA dating from 1584-1598. Issued under Tsar: Feodor Rurik. Feodor was the son of Ivan Rurik IV~The Terrible, and was last of Rurik line when he died without child in 1598. Mint: Novgorod.

RUSSIA~AR Kopek 1584-1598

~Daniel
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 08:47:08 PM by Zantetsuken »

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #225 on: February 25, 2011, 08:54:33 PM »
 :smiley-bounce016:
Here's one that arrived today. This is a silver wire Kopek from RUSSIA dating from 1584-1598. Issued under Tsar: Feodor Rurik. Feodor was the son of Ivan Rurik IV~The Terrible, and was last of Rurik line when he died without child in 1598. Mint: Novgorod.

~Daniel

That's amazing! I honestly dont  know that much about this type of coin, is it considered an ancient coin?
If so it appears to be mint state to me, is it?

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #226 on: February 25, 2011, 09:15:22 PM »
:smiley-bounce016:

~Daniel

That's amazing! I honestly dont  know that much about this type of coin, is it considered an ancient coin?

Hey Stef, long time no talk. Hope you've been well. Thanks I'm glad you like the coin. It's not actually an ancient or medieval because of the issue date. The medieval era ended roughly arounde the late 15th century, and began the renaissance period. You are right, however about the grade. This would be Uncirculated or almost so (IMO). The strike is exceptional for type with the images on both sides being very sharp. Wire coins were struck with silver and copper wire bits cut to appropriate lengths, then struck between special dies. Often, the strike would be very crude and poorly centered.  This can make these coins difficult if not impossible to I.D, because they have so much missing details. Wire coins circulated in Russia until around the late 1600's,under Tsar: Peter Romanov, when he introduced standard size coins. Hope this information helped.

~Daniel
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 09:19:03 PM by Zantetsuken »

Offline regandon

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +4/-0
« Reply #227 on: February 25, 2011, 09:33:25 PM »
More....post more. There is a lot of history in those coins that FilthyBroke and Zantetsuken are posting. I would love to sit down with you two, and just look at your guys collections.

regandon
ANA member #R-3128774

Knights Templer
IN . HOC . SIGNO . VINGS

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #228 on: February 25, 2011, 10:47:00 PM »

~Daniel

Hey Stef, long time no talk. Hope you've been well. Thanks I'm glad you like the coin. It's not actually an ancient or medieval because of the issue date. The medieval era ended roughly arounde the late 15th century, and began the renaissance period. You are right, however about the grade. This would be Uncirculated or almost so (IMO). The strike is exceptional for type with the images on both sides being very sharp. Wire coins were struck with silver and copper wire bits cut to appropriate lengths, then struck between special dies. Often, the strike would be very crude and poorly centered.  This can make these coins difficult if not impossible to I.D, because they have so much missing details. Wire coins circulated in Russia until around the late 1600's,under Tsar: Peter Romanov, when he introduced standard size coins. Hope this information helped.

~Daniel

Ah, I see now Daniel, thanks for the information. I am so happy and grateful that you are a member here
because I have learned so very much and look forward to each and every post :1Applause;

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #229 on: February 26, 2011, 07:07:19 AM »
Thanks Stef and 'regandon'. You guys have very interesting specimens too, more than words can describe. It would be nice if we could we see our collections in person. Thankfully, the internet allows us to share our collection with the world from our homes. I try to make my images as good as possible to capture the toning and details. Not easy, trust me.

As for the Russian coins, I had a guy from Moscow who sent me a zipped file of a catalog of Russian wire coins about two years ago. It showed hand rendered images (and a few photos) of all coins issued between Grand Duke: Ivan III and Tsar: Peter Romanov I~The Great. This catalog was a god-send, since helped me I.D most of the coins that were previously a mystery. Here's one of them. This is a wire Kopek under Tsar: Peter the Great, dated CS=1698 shortly before Russia achieved imperial status. This was among the last wire coins to be issued before standard coins were minted. Because of the doubled image, it was difficult to identify. The catalog rememdied this.

RUSSIA~AR Kopek CS=1698

~Daniel