Author Topic: World Premiere!  (Read 39625 times)

Offline regandon

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +4/-0
Re: World Premiere!
« Reply #270 on: March 24, 2011, 09:38:32 AM »
The Swiss have always had great designs. I hope it comes back from NGC with a high grade.
regandon
ANA member #R-3128774

Knights Templer
IN . HOC . SIGNO . VINGS

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #271 on: March 25, 2011, 07:50:25 AM »
Here's one that arrived yesterday. This is 2 Soldi from the IONIAN ISLANDS. The precise date is unknown, but I'm guessing this dates from around the 1600's. Issued under Ventian sovereignty for the islands of Corfu, Cephalonia and Zante.

IONIAN ISLANDS (COLONIAL)~2 Soldi 1600's ?

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #272 on: March 25, 2011, 03:01:44 PM »
 :ThumbsUp; 
There is so much history to learn, I was just reading a little on the Ionian islands.  It sounds like they were an area of almost constant turmoil, having at some point or another being under the rule of the French, British, German, etc. 

please visit my website - http://jetoncollector.com/index.html

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #273 on: March 25, 2011, 04:54:58 PM »
There is so much history to learn, I was just reading a little on the Ionian islands.  It sounds like they were an area of almost constant turmoil, having at some point or another being under the rule of the French, British, German, etc.

True that, and not just the Ionian Islands either. Most of the Balkans have at one point or another had been under the gun, Greece, Bulgaria, Serbia etc. The first millenium it was by the Roman and Byzantine empires, the second was by the Turks, Mongols and Hungarians. Coins are very important footprints in the history of the world.

Daniel
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 06:07:17 PM by Zantetsuken »

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #274 on: March 25, 2011, 05:25:59 PM »

True that, and not just the Ionian Islands either. Most of the Balkans have at one point or another been under the gun, Greece, Bulgaria, Serbia etc. The first millenium it was by the Roman and Byzantine empires, the second was by the Turks, Mongols and Hungarians. Coins are a very important footprints in the history of the world.

Daniel

Very well said Daniel :1Applause;
I like that phrase   Coins are a very important footprints in the history of the world.

Offline regandon

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +4/-0
« Reply #275 on: March 26, 2011, 05:45:48 PM »
Excellet statement Daniel.
regandon
ANA member #R-3128774

Knights Templer
IN . HOC . SIGNO . VINGS

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #276 on: March 28, 2011, 12:12:59 PM »
This one just came in today.  I've been looking for this particular jeton for over a year, and this was the first one that came up for auction.
It really surprised me when I opened the package and looked this one over, it may be the nicest example I've seen so far of this design.

Reunion des Assureurs, 1830 date, but the bee punchmark suggests this one was actually minted 1860-80.

please visit my website - http://jetoncollector.com/index.html

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #277 on: March 28, 2011, 08:46:20 PM »
Sweet specimen as usual. I love the elaborate pattern on these. Keep em coming.

~Daniel

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #278 on: March 28, 2011, 08:49:45 PM »
Here's one that arrived today. This is 1 Grivnik from SIBERIA dated 1764. This is a copy of an extremely rare pattern from 1764. Originals only exist in major collections and museums.

SIBERIA (REGIONAL)~1 Grivnik 1764 *COPY*

~Daniel
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 08:50:44 PM by Zantetsuken »

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #279 on: March 28, 2011, 09:26:41 PM »
Here's one that arrived today. This is 1 Grivnik from SIBERIA dated 1764. This is a copy of an extremely rare pattern from 1764. Originals only exist in major collections and museums.

SIBERIA (REGIONAL)~1 Grivnik 1764 *COPY*

~Daniel

That's a super piece Daniel. When you say copy are you referring to a Novadel?