Author Topic: World Premiere!  (Read 39613 times)

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
Re: World Premiere!
« Reply #280 on: March 29, 2011, 02:02:38 AM »
Here's one that arrived today. This is 1 Grivnik from SIBERIA dated 1764. This is a copy of an extremely rare pattern from 1764. Originals only exist in major collections and museums.

SIBERIA (REGIONAL)~1 Grivnik 1764 *COPY*

~Daniel

That's a super piece Daniel. When you say copy are you referring to a Novadel?

Thanks Stef. It's not a 'Novodel', although these are sometimes sold as such. It might be museum copy or something else. Still, it's an attractive alternative, when the original is not an option. Originals, if encountered, would probably go for at least six or seven figures on an auction block. Even 'Novodels' go for a quite a bit. In fact, they sometimes cost more than the original coins. Be careful though, there are unscrupulous people on Ebay that sell coins such as these as Novodels when then are just regular copies or fakes.

From what I understand, 'Novodels' were coins struck in the early 1800's by copying the original die patterns, then striking coins making a virtual image of the original design. Whereas, 'Restrikes' are coins struck with the original dies. This what a friend of mine told me when I was at a coin store.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 02:03:48 AM by Zantetsuken »

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #281 on: March 29, 2011, 02:17:18 AM »
Thanks Daniel,

I understand now. You are right, sometime the Novadels cost more than the actual coin ;)

I picked these two up last year and the were not cheap!
But they are beautiful and already graded. I picked up in the Heritage Auction.

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #282 on: March 29, 2011, 06:56:47 AM »
Thanks Daniel,

I understand now. You are right, sometime the Novadels cost more than the actual coin ;)

I picked these two up last year and the were not cheap!
But they are beautiful and already graded. I picked up in the Heritage Auction.

I remember these when you first posted them. They are gorgeous. That was the first time I ever saw a true Novodel that close. It's good that they are professionally graded, so if you resell them someday, you should hopefully get a premium. Also, this should put potential buyers at ease that they are getting genuine Novodels,and not knock-offs.. Thanks for posting these again.

~Daniel

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #283 on: March 29, 2011, 08:04:54 PM »

Thanks Stef. It's not a 'Novodel', although these are sometimes sold as such. It might be museum copy or something else. Still, it's an attractive alternative, when the original is not an option. Originals, if encountered, would probably go for at least six or seven figures on an auction block. Even 'Novodels' go for a quite a bit. In fact, they sometimes cost more than the original coins. Be careful though, there are unscrupulous people on Ebay that sell coins such as these as Novodels when then are just regular copies or fakes.

From what I understand, 'Novodels' were coins struck in the early 1800's by copying the original die patterns, then striking coins making a virtual image of the original design. Whereas, 'Restrikes' are coins struck with the original dies. This what a friend of mine told me when I was at a coin store.

Good info, thanks for posting this.  Would this mean that all restrikes are from original dies?  That would make sense to me, I wasn't sure if a restrike could be an official re-release of a design, but made with new dies.
please visit my website - http://jetoncollector.com/index.html

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #284 on: March 30, 2011, 05:34:10 AM »

Good info, thanks for posting this.  Would this mean that all restrikes are from original dies?  That would make sense to me, I wasn't sure if a restrike could be an official re-release of a design, but made with new dies.

That's pretty much how I understand it. If you look at Stefanie's Novodels, they look pretty much spot on with the originals. The only difference is they are more lusterous than the originals, and lack the imperfections which was all too common with original coins. On the issue of Restrikes, I think they are also authorised by the government and mint to produce the coins. Most other copies are not (like mine). Still, it's an interesting filler piece, when the original is not an option.

~Daniel

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #285 on: March 31, 2011, 04:56:05 PM »
Still, it's an interesting filler piece, when the original is not an option.

Oh, I know what you mean.  There are some coins that just won't ever be attainable. 

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #286 on: April 02, 2011, 03:36:00 PM »
Here's one that arrived today. This is 5 Kopek from SIBERIA dated 1779.

SIBERIA (REGIONAL)~5 Kopek 1779

~Daniel

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #287 on: April 02, 2011, 06:57:45 PM »
 :ThumbsUp;  Keep 'em coming, you must have quite a collection!

Not to change the topic, but since you know a lot about Russian coins - What would be a good choice for my WWII set?  I know very little about Russian coins, but I'd like to find a nice circulated Russian example that would have been in circulation in Stalingrad maybe during the war, and maybe minted during wartime?

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #288 on: April 03, 2011, 09:22:58 AM »
:ThumbsUp;  Keep 'em coming, you must have quite a collection!

Not to change the topic, but since you know a lot about Russian coins - What would be a good choice for my WWII set?  I know very little about Russian coins, but I'd like to find a nice circulated Russian example that would have been in circulation in Stalingrad maybe during the war, and maybe minted during wartime?

Thanks 'FilthyBroke', I'm glad you like it. About the Soviet coins from  WWII, the last time I checked, most of the coins from that period were pretty much the same and the prices weren't that much higher. I'll have to check a current catalog for the prices though. You can probably pick them up on Ebay, just be careful not to get ripped off by some of them.

~Daniel
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 09:23:41 AM by Zantetsuken »

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #289 on: April 03, 2011, 12:31:43 PM »
I've seen a select few on Ebay, but nothing special so far. Were there silver coins issued during '42-'43?  I saw a bunch of copper-nickel stuff so far, but I'd prefer small silver if it's available.