Author Topic: World Premiere!  (Read 39611 times)

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
Re: World Premiere!
« Reply #320 on: June 03, 2011, 08:15:00 PM »
Wow, that 5 tenge has a lot of detail left on it!  I was looking up the significance of the star on it, and most examples are quite a bit more circulated than yours.

And of course I couldn't find any reference to the star on the reverse, so I'm going to have to bug you about it. :)

Does it hold a religious significance?  It brings to mind a couple other designs I've seen with the star of Bethlehem or some comet that was visible during those days....any thoughts?

(my luck it's a flower or something totally off the mark of my guess :D..)
please visit my website - http://jetoncollector.com/index.html

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #321 on: June 03, 2011, 10:54:59 PM »
Wow, that 5 tenge has a lot of detail left on it!  I was looking up the significance of the star on it, and most examples are quite a bit more circulated than yours.

And of course I couldn't find any reference to the star on the reverse, so I'm going to have to bug you about it. :)

Does it hold a religious significance?  It brings to mind a couple other designs I've seen with the star of Bethlehem or some comet that was visible during those days....any thoughts?

(my luck it's a flower or something totally off the mark of my guess :D..)

Actually, I think both the crescent and the star have religious significance. They are use throughout the Islamic world, on their flags (Turkey for example), and other nation emblems. The crescent and star, continued to be used even during the Soviet era. It's rather curious to see a religious symblol combined with a Soviet symbol, considering that many communists discouraged religion or outlawed it all together. Here are a couple examples.

KHWAREZM SOVIET PEOPLES REPUBLIC~20 Ruble 1338 AH/1920 AD

KHWAREZM SOVIET PEOPLES REPUBLIC~100 Ruble 1339 AH/1921 AD

~Daniel

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #322 on: June 10, 2011, 10:31:35 AM »
It took awhile to get this, but it finally arrived. This is an upgrade to a previous coin image submitted. This is 2 Kopek from SIBERIA dated 1780. This was last issue date for this denomination.

SIBERIA (REGIONAL)~2 Kopek 1780

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #323 on: June 10, 2011, 12:46:39 PM »
It took awhile to get this, but it finally arrived. This is an upgrade to a previous coin image submitted. This is 2 Kopek from SIBERIA dated 1780. This was last issue date for this denomination.

SIBERIA (REGIONAL)~2 Kopek 1780

Zantetsuken, it is beautiful :Beatingheart;
I just love it!

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #324 on: June 10, 2011, 04:18:25 PM »
Very cool!   :ThumbsUp;

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #325 on: June 10, 2011, 05:49:31 PM »
Zantetsuken, it is beautiful :Beatingheart;
I just love it!

Thanks Stef, I'm glad you liked it. I thought I did a pretty good job of capturing the toning on this which is not easy to do. I used a combination of camera flash and desk lamp to get the right effect.

~Daniel

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #326 on: June 12, 2011, 07:35:37 PM »

Here's a neat design I came across at the show today.  I don't know if the info is right on it, but it's listed as Japan - silver, year 12 (1937) 50 Sen, can anyone verify this info?

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #327 on: June 13, 2011, 06:09:10 AM »

Here's a neat design I came across at the show today.  I don't know if the info is right on it, but it's listed as Japan - silver, year 12 (1937) 50 Sen, can anyone verify this info?

Nice indeed. It's definitely Japanese because of the seal at the top on the obverse side. It appears to be a 10 Sen piece. I looked this up under Krause, but couldn't find any more details other than the era this was issued under (Showa~1926-1989). This particular specimen, curiously wasn't listed in Krauses catalog. Sorry if this isn't much help. It's a beautiful coin none the less. Thanks for sharing.

~Daniel
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 06:24:09 AM by Zantetsuken »

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #328 on: June 13, 2011, 06:22:20 AM »
UPDATE: I found it. I was looking under the wrong section. It's 50 Sen Year 12 of the Showa Era. The compostion is silver and is listed in Krause: Y#50 Year 12. I hope this helped.

~Daniel

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #329 on: June 13, 2011, 05:35:19 PM »
Thanks Daniel!  I really should get the Krause catalog for the 1900's coins, but just haven't really looked for one yet.  I'm relying on the seller's attributions on most of these, and just wanted to check and make sure his info was accurate.