Author Topic: World Premiere!  (Read 39679 times)

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
Re: World Premiere!
« Reply #360 on: July 30, 2011, 06:55:32 PM »
That's a nice strong portrait on the wire money, I've seen a couple before but couldn't make out what the obverse design was on them.  Cool find!

Is the German piece steel?  That's a good looking coin. :ThumbsUp;
please visit my website - http://jetoncollector.com/index.html

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #361 on: July 30, 2011, 07:03:36 PM »
That's a nice strong portrait on the wire money, I've seen a couple before but couldn't make out what the obverse design was on them.  Cool find!

Is the German piece steel?  That's a good looking coin. :ThumbsUp;

Thanks 'FilthyBroke'. The wire coin is definitely a better strike than normally found for these, especially on the reverse. As for the German coin, it's made of zinc. This too is a better grade than normally found for zinc coins. As most of us know, zinc along with time and the elements are not exactly good bed fellows. This one is an upgrade to one I posted earlier which had a very rough surface.

~Daniel

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #362 on: July 30, 2011, 07:26:42 PM »
Ah, zinc... the look reminds me of the steel Lincolns of the war era.

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #363 on: July 31, 2011, 05:11:01 AM »
Ah, zinc... the look reminds me of the steel Lincolns of the war era.

I didn't really think about it at first, but your right. The steel Lincoln head pennies did look like zinc with the toning. It looks like neither of these ores hold up well to the elements. Iron is another one. I have a couple of iron coins from Germany and German occupied territories of World War I. They rust easily and look horrible if exposed to too much moisture.

~Daniel

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #364 on: August 06, 2011, 08:04:50 PM »
Here's my latest purchase. This is 5 Yuan from the PEOPLES REPUBLIC OF CHINA dated 2011. Commemorating the 90th anniversary of the Chinese Communist Party.

CHINA (PEOPLES REPUBLIC)~5 Yuan 2011

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #365 on: August 07, 2011, 11:21:19 AM »
I didn't know you collect moderns?......lol
Nice piece

I was hoping to add some nice Eussin coins to my collection because Stacks has a few nice things next week, but the ones I wanted to bid on are already 3x's the price!

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #366 on: August 07, 2011, 12:15:22 PM »
I didn't know you collect moderns?......lol
Nice piece

I was hoping to add some nice Eussin coins to my collection because Stacks has a few nice things next week, but the ones I wanted to bid on are already 3x's the price!

Thanks Stef, I'm glad you like it. It's true that I mainly deal in the older coins, but every so often, I find a modern coin that captures my interest. I found this to be a very attractive piece, so picked it up on Ebay. I had another fairly recent one from Serbia in the amount of 5,000 gold Dinaras. I'm expecting another one from Russia dated 2003 within the week. I'll post it as soon as it arrives.

~Daniel

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #367 on: August 07, 2011, 02:29:01 PM »
Ooo, can't wait to see them Daniel

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #368 on: August 07, 2011, 05:05:21 PM »
That's a cool design.  Are these made to circulate?   I don't have any Chinese coins yet, so I know very little about them.

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #369 on: August 07, 2011, 06:43:08 PM »
That's a cool design.  Are these made to circulate?   I don't have any Chinese coins yet, so I know very little about them.

Thanks 'FilthyBroke'. I think this might be a utilitarian coin, although the surface has a proof-like finish. It's has historic importance, since China is the last significant communist nation left in the world. The design is definitely interesting though, for a more or less, failed ideology.